Record Store Day 2017

Your Turntable's Not Dead
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Record Store Day 2017

Post by shaneoftheroad »

wuzzie22 wrote:A few friends invited me to a third man records collection group and was noticing some of the pictures being posted. I have a question, do these people have mental disorders?
There's one called Third Man Records United that's much more tame. But I still prefer the Swirl above all.
wuzzie22
Little Bird

Post by wuzzie22 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
wuzzie22 wrote:A few friends invited me to a third man records collection group and was noticing some of the pictures being posted. I have a question, do these people have mental disorders?
There's one called Third Man Records United that's much more tame. But I still prefer the Swirl above all.
How many of these groups are there? It seems as though the one I currently belong to, "Third Man Records Collectors," seem, how do I say without offending... uh, "over excited autistic for no reason." I guess that could be the more extreme fandom. So on a scale from boring (swirl) to extreme (Third Man Records Collectors) is there one in the middle?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Third Man Records Collectors tends to be the more fanatic of all the groups. I'm not allowed there because I pissed off the owners a few times. The only other main one is Third Man Records United, which is pretty much where the Swirl people went on Facebook.

Still, the Swirl is here. And it's making a comeback. So I'm hoping everyone will eventually gravitate back to here.

(and my daughter has autism so I have to register an objection over using the word as a derogatory. But it's your life, man.)
wuzzie22
Little Bird

Post by wuzzie22 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Third Man Records Collectors tends to be the more fanatic of all the groups. I'm not allowed there because I pissed off the owners a few times. The only other main one is Third Man Records United, which is pretty much where the Swirl people went on Facebook.

Still, the Swirl is here. And it's making a comeback. So I'm hoping everyone will eventually gravitate back to here.

(and my daughter has autism so I have to register an objection over using the word as a derogatory. But it's your life, man.)
shane, i am using the autism not in a derogatory term. It's come to my attention that the autism "spectrum" has grown quite large in the past 10 years. I almost antiquate it as kids having "ADHD" in the 90's and prescribed ritalin, every kid "had it." And now, today, has autism (hell, I could even have it)... I'm sure your daughter is fantastic and your love for her knows no bounds but labelling her doesn't mean you can technically be offended.

(It's like saying that I have the right to say whatever I want about alzheimers and cancer since I've had family taken by them. Diagnosis isn't a wide net you can say whatever you want about.)

Now if I was using autism as a bad term, I'd actually use what people call "acoustic children." that's meant to be more of an offence online today (see picture below)

Cheers

shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

wuzzie22 wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:Third Man Records Collectors tends to be the more fanatic of all the groups. I'm not allowed there because I pissed off the owners a few times. The only other main one is Third Man Records United, which is pretty much where the Swirl people went on Facebook.

shane, i am using the autism not in a derogatory term. It's come to my attention that the autism "spectrum" has grown quite large in the past 10 years. I almost antiquate it as kids having "ADHD" in the 90's and prescribed ritalin, every kid "had it." And now, today, has autism (hell, I could even have it)... I'm sure your daughter is fantastic and your love for her knows no bounds but labelling her doesn't mean you can technically be offended.

(It's like saying that I have the right to say whatever I want about alzheimers and cancer since I've had family taken by them. Diagnosis isn't a wide net you can say whatever you want about.)
All good, man! Didn't mean to bust your balls, just doing my duty (you understand). Seriously, check out Third Man Records United. It's nowhere near as active as Third Man Records Collectors but it's a good alternative on Facebook. But for my tastes, nothing beats White Swirl.
Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

wuzzie22 wrote:

Now if I was using autism as a bad term, I'd actually use what people call "acoustic children." that's meant to be more of an offence online today (see picture below)

Cheers

WTF?
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
wuzzie22
Little Bird

Post by wuzzie22 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
wuzzie22 wrote:

All good, man! Didn't mean to bust your balls, just doing my duty (you understand). Seriously, check out Third Man Records United. It's nowhere near as active as Third Man Records Collectors but it's a good alternative on Facebook. But for my tastes, nothing beats White Swirl.
I will thank you very much for the tip! :) (no balls busted, just new friendships!)
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

No worries. Let's stay in the records and records-related groups lane. I truly apologize for skewing off onto an alternate tangent.

Records. Record-related groups. Record Store Day.

I'm considering going to Nashville tomorrow for the Blue Series book but I've been drinking tonight and I may not feel up to it. Gonna be hard tracking down the limited edition for a decent price though, I think.
wuzzie22
Little Bird

Post by wuzzie22 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:No worries. Let's stay in the records and records-related groups lane. I truly apologize for skewing off onto an alternate tangent.

Records. Record-related groups. Record Store Day.

I'm considering going to Nashville tomorrow for the Blue Series book but I've been drinking tonight and I may not feel up to it. Gonna be hard tracking down the limited edition for a decent price though, I think.
I got the book on amazon, man I wish I could grab it with the record but like everyone else, I'd be fishing on ebay. Just glad I can get the info and read about it though, praise be to amazon.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Nothing in my city in France... :(
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Mick III wrote:Nothing in my city in France... :(
Too bad - HappyDad has a stall somewhere at a record fair/market where there seems to be a lot going on
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

love_islander wrote:
Mick III wrote:Nothing in my city in France... :(
Too bad - HappyDad has a stall somewhere at a record fair/market where there seems to be a lot going on
He's in Valence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

The only reason I want the special edition of the Blue Series book is for the unreleased Gibby Haynes track on the 7". But that's not worth $95 or whatever they're charging today, so I'll happily spend $60 when they announce the regular edition, which I hope they're going to do soon, and save that extra $35 toward the American Epic box-set that will also hopefully be announced soon.

And while y'all are waiting in line for records today, you can livestream the March for Science in Washington, DC! https://www.marchforscience.com/
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Anyone happen to see how much the Sprongsteen live set was going for today? Trying to figure out how much to spend on the second hand market. Same with the Isbell live release. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

So did anyone go out for RSD this year? Showed up to my store ~3:45 am was 10th in line, picked up the Flat Duo Jets boxed set (the only thing that really got me to go this year), Townes Van Zandt live at Austin City Limits, and the Bonnie Prince Billy 7". Felt kind of strange not going straight to the W section for a White Stripes release, but I was happy to get out under $100