Innovative Design on Turntable

Your Turntable's Not Dead
achouza
Little Ghost

Innovative Design on Turntable

Post by achouza »

Damn, this minimalist turntable is super interesting, its cool to see people still experiment with turntable design. Hopefully it does well and it get a V2
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/86 ... -by-miniot

Interesting details:
- No needle / tonearm is visible, given the needle is under the record and playing upside down. So the side being played is actually the bottom of the record
- There are no control buttons, the center stick serves as function to start, play, stop, fast forward song..etc very apple like
- It can operate horizontally or vertically on wall

<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
higherlimits
Little People

Re: Innovative Design on Turntable

Post by higherlimits »

Too bad it doesn't have integrated Bluetooth, it has to be hard-wired to something which kinda eliminates the minimalist design.

Here is another one that was posted elsewhere: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/49 ... -turntable
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

higherlimits wrote:Here is another one that was posted elsewhere: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/49 ... -turntable
I was thinking more about this one just this past weekend and I initially really liked it, but have changed my mind.

A record player has many things that contribute to the experience.

Some of them being the fact that you drop a needle, and flip a record when the side is finished. One of the others is the fact that you are more or less forced to listen to the album in its entirety and in order. The order that the band has spent time on picking and intends for you to listen to. I like that because I think that is important for an album. Jumping around and skipping songs and only listening to 2 minutes of a song and then going to the next doesn't allow you to appreciate the music as the band wants.. This record player is just like having an iPod in the sense that you are now able to change the song at any point with the click of a button and don't even need to listen too all songs, or complete ones.. That to me is not something I like..
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

arewhyehen wrote:
higherlimits wrote:Here is another one that was posted elsewhere: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/49 ... -turntable
I was thinking more about this one just this past weekend and I initially really liked it, but have changed my mind.

Some of them being the fact that you drop a needle, and flip a record when the side is finished. One of the others is the fact that you are more or less forced to listen to the album in its entirety and in order. The order that the band has spent time on picking and intends for you to listen to. I like that because I think that is important for an album. Jumping around and skipping songs and only listening to 2 minutes of a song and then going to the next doesn't allow you to appreciate the music as the band wants.. This record player is just like having an iPod in the sense that you are now able to change the song at any point with the click of a button and don't even need to listen too all songs, or complete ones.. That to me is not something I like..
Just because a function exists does not mean you need to use it...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

higherlimits wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

I listen to music all day at work, the hour each way to and from work and then an hour at the gym. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't flip through stations or skip through songs when it's there and easy to use. I don't even think about it. It's habit. I feel a much bigger connection to a band or an album when I listen to albums front to back. Those are the ones that become your favourites and most spun....not the ones that you just play 1 or 2 songs off of..

Maybe I'm old school, but I like my record player the way it is... leave the other features for your iPod.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

arewhyehen wrote:
higherlimits wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

I listen to music all day at work, the hour each way to and from work and then an hour at the gym. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't flip through stations or skip through songs when it's there and easy to use. I don't even think about it. It's habit. I feel a much bigger connection to a band or an album when I listen to albums front to back. Those are the ones that become your favourites and most spun....not the ones that you just play 1 or 2 songs off of..

Maybe I'm old school, but I like my record player the way it is... leave the other features for your iPod.
I guess.. The reason I like that turntable is because it's so portable and I can connect it to my existing in-ceiling speakers easily. I'd still use my traditional set up but I like the mobility of this. I'll always listen to the albums front to back still, I'll just ignore that function.