Third Man Pressing

Your Turntable's Not Dead
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Re: Third Man Pressing

Post by JonnyH »

How do the rekkids sound? Are they noticeably more or less groovy sounding?
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

I don't think anyone has touched on it yet, how was the Mummies set? Does anyone think they recorded it for a future release? I think that is one band that definitely deserves a live release
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

GoGoHarlemBaby wrote:I don't think anyone has touched on it yet, how was the Mummies set? Does anyone think they recorded it for a future release? I think that is one band that definitely deserves a live release

Both the Oblivians and Mummies were great! The Oblivians were recorded for sure. They had video cameras all around the place and the lights next to the stage were on to indicate they were recording to tape as well as cutting to vinyl.

The lights were not on for the Mummies set and I didn't see as many cameras. The set was good, but it was a lot of noise and a lot of feedback while they threw their instruments around. I mean, I know it's more than that but I'm not sure the intensity of the set would translate well to a live record. Maybe they figured the same and didn't figure a live LP would work. They were lots of fun though. They played a little more than an hour and probably half was them talking and fucking around haha.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Listening to the WS records is on my list of things to do this week.

Another "bad" to add to the list....poster rolling. Just had a chance to unroll mine and it's got several creases and some edge damage. I fully understand the circumstances, just a bit disappointed since it was a $50 item.

A little bit on the poster. First, it has "Poster by Rob Jones" printed on the bottom of it, first time I've seen that. Also "Printed by D+L Printing". Also it has "Resurget Cineribus" in the center bottom. That's Latin for "It Will Rise From The Ashes" in reference to the 1805 fire that destroyed all but 1 building in Detroit. It's also one of two mottos on the Michigan State Flag, both mottos written by Gabriel Richard. For those not familiar with old timey stuff, the Detroit buildings make up the body of a record reproducer used to play old shellac 78s with a hand crank record player.

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

arewhyehen wrote: Both the Oblivians and Mummies were great! The Oblivians were recorded for sure. They had video cameras all around the place and the lights next to the stage were on to indicate they were recording to tape as well as cutting to vinyl.

The lights were not on for the Mummies set and I didn't see as many cameras. The set was good, but it was a lot of noise and a lot of feedback while they threw their instruments around. I mean, I know it's more than that but I'm not sure the intensity of the set would translate well to a live record. Maybe they figured the same and didn't figure a live LP would work. They were lots of fun though. They played a little more than an hour and probably half was them talking and fucking around haha.
That is cool, I'd like to see the Oblivians set released as well! Did they play Bad Man? I think thats my favorite song by them... and yeah, I think the mummies are best when you see the full spectacle! I'll keep my fingers crossed
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:A little bit on the poster. First, it has "Poster by Rob Jones" printed on the bottom of it, first time I've seen that. Also "Printed by D+L Printing". Also it has "Resurget Cineribus" in the center bottom. That's Latin for "It Will Rise From The Ashes" in reference to the 1805 fire that destroyed all but 1 building in Detroit. It's also one of two mottos on the Michigan State Flag, both mottos written by Gabriel Richard. For those not familiar with old timey stuff, the Detroit buildings make up the body of a record reproducer used to play old shellac 78s with a hand crank record player.

Meaningful detail, as always.

"I"m so Detroit, I make it rise from the ashes" He's going to do his damnedest, that's for sure.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:A little bit on the poster. First, it has "Poster by Rob Jones" printed on the bottom of it, first time I've seen that. Also "Printed by D+L Printing". Also it has "Resurget Cineribus" in the center bottom. That's Latin for "It Will Rise From The Ashes" in reference to the 1805 fire that destroyed all but 1 building in Detroit. It's also one of two mottos on the Michigan State Flag, both mottos written by Gabriel Richard. For those not familiar with old timey stuff, the Detroit buildings make up the body of a record reproducer used to play old shellac 78s with a hand crank record player.

Meaningful detail, as always.

"I"m so Detroit, I make it rise from the ashes" He's going to do his damnedest, that's for sure.
Cool info! Thanks Adam
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

arewhyehen wrote:Nicholas...how nervous were you watching the mummies up there throwing your microphones around? I kept thinking of you the whole time they were playing. I was nervous and they weren't even my mics. Haha!

Any damage done?
Haha, Yeah, I was up in the photo pit during the first 2/3rds of their set. I knew the microphones could take a beating, but I also knew they were asked not to knock them into anything on purpose. I assume there'd be some drops and a lot of swinging. I checked out the microphones on sunday and there's not even a scratch on any of them. They go through rigorous drop testing during the prototype stage.

But thanks for asking.

It was awesome to have my mics used throughout the whole weekend (except Danny Brown because I didn't think to bring a wireless capsule). But the mics (especially the chrome one that was usually in the center of the stage) looked awesome and sounded even better. The only time there were feedback issues is when a certain band required having the mic run through a blown guitar amp pointed right back at the mic.

<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Your mics sounded great from where I was!

Just started listening to my stash of TMP-pressed records, and very impressed with the sound quality so far. Very crisp, no surface noise. The inner sleeves of the Stooges albums had the cutout (over the label) slightly off-center, though, so I was concerned at first that there was an issue with the records. But no, just the sleeves.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

GoGoHarlemBaby wrote:That is cool, I'd like to see the Oblivians set released as well! Did they play Bad Man? I think thats my favorite song by them...
They sure did, and then some--

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

dreamover wrote: Haha, Yeah, I was up in the photo pit during the first 2/3rds of their set. I knew the microphones could take a beating, but I also knew they were asked not to knock them into anything on purpose. I assume there'd be some drops and a lot of swinging. I checked out the microphones on sunday and there's not even a scratch on any of them. They go through rigorous drop testing during the prototype stage.

But thanks for asking.

It was awesome to have my mics used throughout the whole weekend (except Danny Brown because I didn't think to bring a wireless capsule). But the mics (especially the chrome one that was usually in the center of the stage) looked awesome and sounded even better. The only time there were feedback issues is when a certain band required having the mic run through a blown guitar amp pointed right back at the mic.

Glad to hear. I cringed a few times when they took a good hit. All I could think about was how much you must be worried. Haha.

How was Danny Brown? I would have LOVED to seen him
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

arewhyehen wrote:
dreamover wrote:
He was a blast. When I was told he was playing, I literally didn't believe it until he walked out on stage. It was so rad.

Also....

this is awesome....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Af4xgYgv2k
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

dreamover wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
dreamover wrote:
He was a blast. When I was told he was playing, I literally didn't believe it until he walked out on stage. It was so rad.

Also....

this is awesome....

Thanks, that is indeed awesome! :shock: :D
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

There are a few snippets of Danny Brown's set here-- http://hiphopdx.com/videos/id.25872/tit ... ing-party#
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

dreamover wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
dreamover wrote:

Also....

this is awesome....

NICE! Downloading that when I get home. Such a great set.