Third Man Pressing

Your Turntable's Not Dead
trickster
Greek Mod

Re: Third Man Pressing

Post by trickster »

So to sum up
You guys think that MC5 and Stooges were Detroit location only and Saturday only. No more instore and definitely not online?
What about the other non WS 12"?

What about the WS?
I have heard people saying they pressed tons and other say one of the two sold out.

I dont know what to believe.
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Seriously doubt Stooges and MC5 are gonna be Vaulted, especially since it's expressed on the site they're exclusive to the store/event. (Same with the two singles of course, and quite probably the gospel LP too.) I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the Elektra "blessing" included something about those being exclusive to the event and can't be sold online.

But the two WS? C'mon——I will bet my unwanted/unloved WS 7" misprint no one wants to buy that those WS LPs are Vaulted.

Stooges double looks MIGHTY sweet, gotta give props to that one. I haven't had a chance to do any research to see if the LP2 tracks have ever been released before . . . (EDIT: Available on CD, not on vinyl.)
Last edited by woodisgood on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I heard Swank say Disc 2 tracks were culled from sort of deluxe edition. I'm not a Stooges guy to say if that was accurate or not.

Edit - https://www.discogs.com/The-Stooges-The ... se/9892879
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:I went to the opening yesterday, some observations.

The Bad (some of this is purely nitpicky)
1. They waited too long to let folks know if you just wanted to browse the store or just view the pressing plant you didn't need to wait in line. They didn't come out and tell folks in line that until 11:30am
2. No Jack. I didn't see him while I was in the store, watching the pressing, or during the tour. Not sure if he came later after a long night of celebration but was a bit disappointed to not catch a glimpse.
3. Plant tour too short. Literally 10 minutes with 10 people per tour. It was nice to be on the plant floor and close to the machines. I know quite a bit about the process so for me it was old hat. Learned more from the Analog Planet video (linked below) than the tour. Again, me being nitpicky knowing too much about that particular process. Would like to have heard more about the modernization of the machines, etc. than the actual process of creating a record. I wanted to ask more questions such as the decision for manual vs. automatic presses (probably better quality control if I had to guess) as well as some other questions. The bag of "goodies" was a single "goody" of a slip mat. A dinked center from a rejected record would have been nice.

The Ugly
1. I can't say any thing was ugly. Very slick, well prepared this date. No disappointments. I haven't listened to the records yet. The LPs are solid. I noticed some dimpling in one of the records but nothing like you might see from URP or even from GZ sometimes (for the pressing plant nerds).

As for the records, I am guessing they will be selling the WS color versions somewhere else. They pressed the hell out of those all day. Although they only ran 1 press with each record, they ran those presses for days or even weeks before the opening for practice and to build stock. Around 2:30pm they were close to running out of the Stooges release because they were running out of labels.

Rob Jones Posters, sold out by 12:45. Numbered out of 100. There were apparently some variants sold to the first Vault members who presented their challenge coin at the Vault Membership table. One appeared to be printed on green or glow in the dark paper, the other I saw appeared to be on metal or some other wavy color paper. They had more tubes behind the table but I didn't take my coin so I didn't bother asking.
I haven't read through all the comments below yet, so maybe some of these were answered...

They came around to the line at 9:50am (I was about 90-100 in line) and went through all or most of it to tell us that there were two lines. One for the exclusives and one just to go in to the regular store/the music.

Jack showed up around....3-4???? It was a bit later in the afternoon, so I am assuming he had something else going on earlier in the day, but I was out back near the viewing window to the pressing plant. When he came out, he came over to me and my girlfriend and signed our records and then walked by and went to watch the Oblivians. When he came back, I shook his hand and introduced myself. He was in a really good mood and had a sarcastic remark and said it was nice to meet me as well. I saw him interacting with a bunch of people while he was back and forth to the balcony to watch the bands.

The tour is one thing I really was disappointed with, so I agree with you here. Mine was at 1pm and we waited until 1:03 to even go into the plant because the tour ahead was behind. He took us through so quickly because nobody really had any questions. I knew everything he told us about and when he asked us questions about the process or named acronyms, we answered them all and said we were the first group he had that could answer everything. By 1:10 we were walking out the door and I thought he was taking us to a back room where they did something else but the tour was over. I didn't even go over to the back wall with the giant mural, which I really wanted to see and get a good photo of with. When I got my "goody bag" I thought it was empty because it was so light. I figured a random record or center label or anything to do with the actual process.. OR even a TMR Pressing sticker. I had to pay $2.50 for a sticker in the main shop..couldn't even throw one of those in... This was wishful thinking, but with these being brand new machines and they have been setting them up and testing them for weeks, there was probably more than enough TP's to drop a few into goody bags...

My girlfriend and I both bought the RJ poster and I didn't know it was $50 (INSANE) until after I paid. My friend told me after that it was limited to 100 and not only did we both question why we spent $50 each to have two copies of a poster that probably won't ever be hung in our house, but we felt bad for taking it from another fan who might want one, so I found a random person in line who missed out and sold it to them at cost. The dude was stoked and I was happy to help him out and get my money back :lol:
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:Great re-cap, Adam. Since I missed the chaotic store grand opening, I'm happy to be able to say I've yet to have a bad experience at a Cass Corridor event. This was certainly the most crowded one so far, but still absolutely excellent and fun and exciting. My one disappointment was the tour. It was the thing that I was most excited about, but I don't think ours was even 10 minutes, it was more like 5. We were taken to an area just between the window from the shop and the first set of presses, where the guide showed samples and explained, "This is an acetate, this is a stamper, this is PVC, this is a puck, this is an untrimmed record", told us the temperature of the water flowing into the presses, and that was about it. I was really hoping to learn more about the innovations of these presses and the plant design, and to see the Sestok mural up close. Hopefully they'll flesh the tours out a bit when they begin doing them monthly, because there's so much more they could talk about and let people see more closely.

And the records themselves are beautiful. If TMP maintain this sort of quality control, I think warping is one thing we will not see very many, if any at all, complaints about from this plant.
+1 on the tour..

I didn't see you around at all! Hopefully catch you on RSD
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

trickster wrote:So to sum up
You guys think that MC5 and Stooges were Detroit location only and Saturday only. No more instore and definitely not online?
What about the other non WS 12"?

What about the WS?
I have heard people saying they pressed tons and other say one of the two sold out.

I dont know what to believe.
All the records being sold were Saturday only. That's not to say they won't sell them with regular covers and black vinyl later on, like everything else they do..

As Ben said, the plates for the Stooges record didn't come in until later Friday so they ran out of those, but the WS records were still left when they closed. I would have to think these would show up on the vault store on the first Monday of the month...but that is a complete guess. If you're feeling lucky, order a 12" roulette and I am sure they will be showing up in a few of those..
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Great re-cap, Adam. Since I missed the chaotic store grand opening, I'm happy to be able to say I've yet to have a bad experience at a Cass Corridor event. This was certainly the most crowded one so far, but still absolutely excellent and fun and exciting. My one disappointment was the tour. It was the thing that I was most excited about, but I don't think ours was even 10 minutes, it was more like 5. We were taken to an area just between the window from the shop and the first set of presses, where the guide showed samples and explained, "This is an acetate, this is a stamper, this is PVC, this is a puck, this is an untrimmed record", told us the temperature of the water flowing into the presses, and that was about it. I was really hoping to learn more about the innovations of these presses and the plant design, and to see the Sestok mural up close. Hopefully they'll flesh the tours out a bit when they begin doing them monthly, because there's so much more they could talk about and let people see more closely.

And the records themselves are beautiful. If TMP maintain this sort of quality control, I think warping is one thing we will not see very many, if any at all, complaints about from this plant.
+1 on the tour..

I kept looking for you, too! We probably passed right by each other at some point and didn't even notice with all that crowd. No RSD for me this year, though, I'll be at the March for Science here in D.C. (and am hoping that TMR plays it low-key this year so I won't miss a bunch of great stuff that day). Wish I'd known about your extra poster-- A friend's fella snagged one for me, but I gave it to someone else who waited in line and just missed it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

+1 on the tour..

I kept looking for you, too! We probably passed right by each other at some point and didn't even notice with all that crowd. No RSD for me this year, though, I'll be at the March for Science here in D.C. (and am hoping that TMR plays it low-key this year so I won't miss a bunch of great stuff that day). Wish I'd known about your extra poster-- A friend's fella snagged one for me, but I gave it to someone else who waited in line and just missed it.
Ahh, sorry about that. :( I was looking for people I knew to sell it to but I didn't see a lot of familiar faces. So many new people. I haven't been to an even in almost 2 years, so I guess I am not one of the cool kids anymore hahaha. I also had a spare tour ticket and couldn't find anyone I knew to help out so I gave it to the only other Canadian I could find.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Nicholas...how nervous were you watching the mummies up there throwing your microphones around? I kept thinking of you the whole time they were playing. I was nervous and they weren't even my mics. Haha!

Any damage done?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

arewhyehen wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

+1 on the tour..

Ahh, sorry about that. :( I was looking for people I knew to sell it to but I didn't see a lot of familiar faces. So many new people. I haven't been to an even in almost 2 years, so I guess I am not one of the cool kids anymore hahaha. I also had a spare tour ticket and couldn't find anyone I knew to help out so I gave it to the only other Canadian I could find.
Too bad you didn't know what I look like, I was the desperate and ultimately fortunate person who initially missed out on the poster--the last one went to the girl in front of me, after four hours of waiting in the snow. :crazy:

We were on the same tour, too!
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Aquamarine wrote: Too bad you didn't know what I look like, I was the desperate and ultimately fortunate person who initially missed out on the poster--the last one went to the girl in front of me, after four hours of waiting in the snow. :crazy:

We were on the same tour, too!
Haha well shit... Sorry about that. Hopefully next time we will figure that out and introduce ourselves. Glad you found a poster. You must have been right behind me in line because our posters were 87 and 89 out of 100. So only 11 people behind us got one..
suttree
Little Cream Soda

Post by suttree »

^^Awesome that you could get your records signed!
And KD, I'm not a friend's fella...I'm a sad kitten. Get it straight!
<JackWhite> suttree: who doesn't love lillie mae?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

suttree wrote:^^Awesome that you could get your records signed!
Awwww, you should be a happy kitten because you're a stand-up guy.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:
suttree wrote:^^Awesome that you could get your records signed!
Awwww, you should be a happy kitten because you're a stand-up guy.
No, he's total garbage. I met him in line and he was talking crap about me! Hahaha.. Kidding! Nice to meet you! Hope to see you again soon.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Just got a request to send my address to TMP so they can send the Stooges record. That's pretty quick follow-up.