Jack White Acoustic Recordings Tin Man Contest

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Jack White Acoustic Recordings Tin Man Contest

Post by Kali Durga »

I believe I saw that on Twitter, Instagram, and possibly Facebook as well.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:Also since we have concluded that winners were notified...
anyone know if the Thanksgiving contest winners were announced?
I wanna say I saw that announcement but I'm not 100%.
Ok, I don't social media enough.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Stl_ben wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:They've already said where and when it is, so . .
Read the prize again, it says date subject to change...
So they change the date (unlikely, contest rules always say that, but there may be last-minute snafus on their end). We still basically know what it's all about, and that there will be people attempting to get in, no matter how private it is or isn't, so there are hardly any spoilers left.
I would say it's very likely they change the date as most people can't plan a travel trip in two weeks.
And we know what it's all about? Do tell!
Nope, gonna make you guess. 8-)
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Alright. It's December 20th. I think if you were chosen for the record or the trip, you've been notified. Congrats to the winners, if they're around these parts. I'm gonna stop looking for that message. I officially give up (or officially lost). haha

Weird contest.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Unfortunately, I think the way this contest turned out is going to make me less inclined to get excited about the next one.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Winners have started receiving their signed records.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

No slight to this invidual, and congratulations to them on winning a signed LP, but I saw far more creative entries that gave the location, used the proper hasthags and also expressed their knowledge of the brand. I mean if this won and Shane's didn't...

“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Bah, I appreciate it, man. But who knows who deserved what? Surely they knew what they were doing. I took down my videos after the contest ended. Felt kinda like a monkey dancing for accolades. I embarrassed myself on this one. That won't happen again. haha
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I'm not embarrassed by my entries and I will not take them down. They were nowhere near as creative as Shane's, but I put thought and effort into creating a little "story" across them. I had fun doing them and I think they're at least slightly clever so, yeah, I'm proud of them. But I am very confused by this contest. I don't want to be disappointed in TMR over it, so I'd like to understand how the hell it actually worked. Looking at the official rules again, it says a team of "Sponsor employees" will select winners--

" a team of judges composed of Sponsor employees will select one (1) Grand Prize Winner and six (6) Runner-up Winners (together with the Grand Prize Winner, the “Winners” and each individually a “Winner”) by ranking the Submission Materials on the basis of the following criteria: originality of the Reply (25%); creativity of the Reply (25%); overall entertaining quality of the Reply (25%); and overall artistic quality of the Reply (25%) (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”)."

In the Eligibility paragraph, it lists Sony as the Sponsor. That makes it sound as if the winners were selected by Sony staff, not TMR staff. In the grand scheme of things, this is obviously not an important issue, but putting effort into something like this makes you feel invested in it, you know? It'd be nice to know whether it was actually TMR's contest, or Sony's.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

gotta love a contest where virtually no one understands how it works. myself included.
he is everything i hate...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Maybe it's just another one of TMR's mind-fucks.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

I think its was totally a contest by Sony just handled through TMR for extra attention to it.
The winners look like they just included everyone in a pot and drawn some names out :|
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Datch wrote:I think its was totally a contest by Sony just handled through TMR for extra attention to it.
The winners look like they just included everyone in a pot and drawn some names out :|
I'm going with this explanation.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I just dun' get it.