Quintessential Third Man Records Release?

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Antitoxic
Little Bird

Quintessential Third Man Records Release?

Post by Antitoxic »

What do you consider the quintessential TMR album's and 45's? Could be from a Vault package, or just a normal release. What do you consider the "necessities" or the best of the best? Interested in what you guys have to say.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Re: Quintessential Third Man Records Release?

Post by chaptertwentyone »

idk
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
westnashguy
Little Cream Soda

Post by westnashguy »

If you're talking music and not collectables, I just recently got White Stripes- Nine Miles from White City (I think Vault 14). Not sure if it's "quintessential", but it's a really good album. The Dead Weather live album from Vault 5 is also pretty good. And Benjamin Booker was pretty good seeing him live in the Blue Room.

As for 45's, I'm a big fan of Michael Kiwanuka's single. He has a nice voice. I have his tricolor (which I think goes for a decent price). Those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. It really just breaks down to what you like and what your tastes are.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Laura Marling is my favorite blue series. I could give you a list of other really great ones that I wouldn't be able to rank in any way, but Laura Marling. That 7" is #1.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Doesn't your use of the word "quintessential" pretty much make your question impossible to answer? What's "quintessential" about TMR is their genre-lessness. Because of that, no one record they've released can really represent or define them. As westnashguy said, "It really just breaks down to what you like and what your tastes are" because they've got something for so very many tastes of music.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Antitoxic
Little Bird

Post by Antitoxic »

I was just simply trying to start a conversation on if you like Third Man Records, which records are sort-of "must-haves". But I understand the whole "genreless" so there's no such thing as a "Quintessential" release. Perhaps that was a poor choice of words. But thank you to everyone who suggested their favorite records by them, I will be sure to check out the 45's. As for the Vault's " Nine Miles from White City", I've been trying to find a nice cheap one for awhile.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Well again, a "must-have" record is going to vary widely from person to person. I might say Pokey LaFarge's Chittlin' Cookin' Time In Cheatham County or Tom Jones' Evil are must-haves (as they're two of my favorites), while Pug might tell you that the ICP record is a must-have. Are you trying to get a consensus, or just looking for suggestions of which records to check out?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Just order a roulette and randomly select the records. Plus you'll get something extra.
icdvet
Little Ghost

Post by icdvet »

Mildred and the Mice?
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
Antitoxic
Little Bird

Post by Antitoxic »

I just wanted to hear different people's opinions. :) Of course no answer is right and no answer is wrong, but if many people suggested the same thing I am looking into buying myself a copy if I don't already own it.

(Most of the TMR I own besides Jack's stuff is limited/colored vinyl. I wanted to check out more of what TMR has to offer.)
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

If you're looking to get a feel for their diversity and hear some stuff you might not otherwise delve into, I'd suggest trying to pick up one or more of the Vault singles comps. Granted, they're not recent stuff, but still a very cool representation of what's "quintessential" about TMR. I may be one of the few people who misses those comps.
pigammon
Little Cream Soda

Post by pigammon »

• The first Gold Dollar vault
  • Blunderbuss
  • Horehound
  • Do Rabbits Wonder?
  • Dex Romweber Duo blue series
  • Jeff the Brotherhood blue series
  • Gibby Haynes blue series
  • The Live To Acetate launch records (Kills, SSS, Shins)
  • Bathtub Love KIllings lel
I could go on.
Honestly, though, if anybody is looking for an introduction into TMR, just seek out one of the singles comps (the last one is the best imo).
Avatar is Fall by Bridget Riley. (1963)
Antitoxic
Little Bird

Post by Antitoxic »

Kali Durga wrote:If you're looking to get a feel for their diversity and hear some stuff you might not otherwise delve into, I'd suggest trying to pick up one or more of the Vault singles comps. Granted, they're not recent stuff, but still a very cool representation of what's "quintessential" about TMR. I may be one of the few people who misses those comps.
I've always been interested in the Singles Comps. Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't going to look into any of them since I never really heard good things about them. It's a shame they haven't made another in years. Perhaps a mega 2012-2013 or something one could occur at some point to help bridge the gap just a little bit? Thanks for the suggestion! :)
pigammon wrote:
  • The first Gold Dollar vault
  • Blunderbuss
  • Horehound
  • Do Rabbits Wonder?
  • Dex Romweber Duo blue series
  • Jeff the Brotherhood blue series
  • Gibby Haynes blue series
  • The Live To Acetate launch records (Kills, SSS, Shins)
  • Bathtub Love KIllings lel
I could go on.
Honestly, though, if anybody is looking for an introduction into TMR, just seek out one of the singles comps (the last one is the best imo).
Been searching after the first Gold Dollar vault for awhile now. Also love Blunderbuss and Horehound. One of my few 10/10 albums. But I'll check out the rest, already love the JtB blue series. Also... am I the only one who loves BLK? I can't get enough of OJ and the hate for her baffles me.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestions everyone, please keep them coming! :D
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

Bathtub Love Killings is also a great record. It's nothing life-changing, but it's a real fun listen and those tunes are very catchy.
There is a lot of diversity but 99% of it is very good.
runofthemill wrote:Just order a roulette and randomly select the records. Plus you'll get something extra.
I'll second this one. Those blue series singles are pretty good.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Cosmos too. That's a real special record.