Carl Sagan

Your Turntable's Not Dead
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Re: Carl Sagan

Post by woodisgood »

Well if they're using a Crosley you know the tone arm weight will be heavy enough.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Seems the blogosphere also remembered Jack's talk of the playing a record in space project. Even Time has a blurb about it.

And how many of y'all remember this?

"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:Seems the blogosphere also remembered Jack's talk of the playing a record in space project. Even Time has a blurb about it.

And how many of y'all remember this?

Check the poster thread, I linked to the actual picture this poster was based on.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Also a SpaceX resupply mission met up with the ISS today....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:Check the poster thread, I linked to the actual picture this poster was based on.
I remember that! And, today is the 47th anniversary of Apollo 11's landing on the moon, making the timing of this announcement even more fitting.

Who knows someone at SpaceX (besides Jack) who can find out if they had a turntable on board? And hell with a Crosley. Who here can do a quick Photoshop of the Manny turntable with a space helmet on Manny's head?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

It's official, he's officially doing it. I kneeeeeeewwwww it!

https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third- ... niversary/
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:It's official, he's officially doing it. I kneeeeeeewwwww it!

I'd like to see the launch live but this is the next best thing. I'll try my best to get down there.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:

I'd like to see the launch live but this is the next best thing. I'll try my best to get down there.
Very cool that they're going to stream it for folks who can't get to either location.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:

Very cool that they're going to stream it for folks who can't get to either location.
They're streaming it pre-recorded though, that's what I meant. It was probably too big an undertaking to do an actual live feed of the record playing.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:

They're streaming it pre-recorded though, that's what I meant. It was probably too big an undertaking to do an actual live feed of the record playing.
Gotcha. Yeah, I've got so many questions about this now-- When is the actual launch? And from where? And we know this was in the planning stages for at least four years, how long ago did Jack actually come up with the idea? And how?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Interesting. I'm slightly confused by some of the wording. I am going to guess that based on the Icarus unit as well as the fact you can get your picture take with the unit, it will be a matter of launching/recording/retrieving the unit instead of TMR recording a live stream themselves for later playback. I'm not tech savvy enough to know viability of streaming equipment for this sort of project vs using a GoPro and retrieving the camera/card. Cool either way. Had some plans for Saturday, may have to change them to do this instead.

I'll leave this here for now:
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

That is extremely bad ass.

ISO- new gold Sagan variant.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

From the SATINS website-- http://www.satinsprogram.com/programs.html
SATINS (Pronounced sat-ins) is a nonprofit program of manned and unmanned exploration of near space. Students and teachers will first begin by building and sending experiments to altitudes of around 100,000 feet – basically passing through 99.9% of Earth’s atmosphere to the very edge of space working with launch kits provided by our supplier High Altitude Science.