Someone from TMR was on Vault Chat (was Modblast)

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Someone from TMR was on Vault Chat (was Modblast)

Post by Kali Durga »

destijl wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
destijl wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:Thank you both for posting, much appreciated. I know it's a lot of work both to capture and to edit those chats, especially when they get that long.
I wish they would edit them.
I'm just grateful to get the transcript. Anybody who wants it edited could edit it themselves--it's not like the folks who post the transcripts here are official TMR secretaries with unlimited time! It takes work to edit these things, thus I appreciate the efforts of both circecoen and Then_It_Rained. (Oh, and CreamedSoda, sorry.)
So am I
Ctrl+F <Jack White> for unedited transcripts. Then just scroll back up far enough to find whatever he was responding to and hit "find" again to search for his next remark.

This chat made me sad.

thirdgirlll> @Jack White I have a hard time asking you questions. What is something we might not know about you?
<Jack White> @thirdgirlll that i don't belong here, and most of the time its' torture trying to find reasons to stay

Is that in reference to Vault chat, to life in general, or was it just him being a smartass? I dunno. But it really sums up the tone of the entire conversation this time around, or at least the feeling I got from it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Kali Durga wrote: This chat made me sad.

thirdgirlll> @Jack White I have a hard time asking you questions. What is something we might not know about you?
<Jack White> @thirdgirlll that i don't belong here, and most of the time its' torture trying to find reasons to stay

Is that in reference to Vault chat, to life in general, or was it just him being a smartass? I dunno. But it really sums up the tone of the entire conversation this time around, or at least the feeling I got from it.
I hope he means being in these inane chats, because for the most part they're just painful to watch unfold. Imagine a large room filled to the brim with JW fans, and then suddenly he appears in the middle of it. He's just "attacked" left and right up and down with electronic missives, a sort of silent shouting, and he's trying to keep his composure, but to what end? There are so few actual well-thought-out questions—people are just so frenzied they ask or declare ridiculous nothingisms.

Instead of searching+finding JW's responses to questions, try reading all the other comments top to bottom. It's a form of torture IMO.
Last edited by woodisgood on Tue May 26, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
nashville_ned
Little Bird

Post by nashville_ned »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/j ... s-to-stay/

Here's an article based on this vault chat. A friend of mine read this (or scanned probably) and swore it was an actual interview JW gave to a news outlet.

So much taken out of context.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Good thing people post entire chats on here so they can be misquoted as interviews.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

nashville_ned wrote:http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/j ... s-to-stay/

Here's an article based on this vault chat. A friend of mine read this (or scanned probably) and swore it was an actual interview JW gave to a news outlet.

So much taken out of context.
Haha yeah I just had my local radio station tweeting me the link to this article and asking me about it. I haven't even read the vault chat but the article just seems a bit ridiculous.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Stl_ben wrote:Good thing people post entire chats on here so they can be misquoted as interviews.
CoS got the transcript from tumblr.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:Good thing people post entire chats on here so they can be misquoted as interviews.
CoS got the transcript from tumblr.
There was another one several months ago that was blogged about from a transcript on Reddit. They're definitely not getting all of them from here anymore.

And Consequence of Sound should be ashamed of themselves. That they would slap together such bullshit and include his comment about click-bait is disgusting.

So why does he continue to go into Vault chat instead of just posting things like the old Letters from the White Stripes or even the stuff he occasionally posted at the Modlife Vault site? Maybe any feedback is better than no feedback? As someone who posts their writing on-line, I can understand the need for dialogue instead of monologue. But I have trouble understanding how the sort of dialogue he gets in Vault chat could be at all satisfying, if I were him it would drive me back into just putting out words in a vacuum.

Though I'll tell ya, this bit made me want to give him a high five--

<Chasiepenny> @Jack White can you sign my titties... jk
<Jack White> @Chasiepenny i'm allergic to cats
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jesxsmith
Little Bird

Post by jesxsmith »

Kali Durga wrote: Though I'll tell ya, this bit made me want to give him a high five--

<Chasiepenny> @Jack White can you sign my titties... jk
<Jack White> @Chasiepenny i'm allergic to cats
lol one of my favorite parts.

I love that he does the chats and I hope he keeps on doing them. I like having a little behind the scenes glimpse, I just can't handle a lot of the other members. Some of them are so annoying and ask the same goddam questions repeatedly and during every chat. Then there's the dramatic girls that take everything so seriously and treat him like a wounded little lamb needing our protection lol I wouldn't have known about the CoS article if it wasn't shared by other fans. If you don't like click bait, don't click.

Anyway, I don't really know where I was going with this post. Just venting I suppose haha the FB group is too sensitive for rants.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

jesxsmith wrote:
Anyway, I don't really know where I was going with this post. Just venting I suppose haha the FB group is too sensitive for rants.
ya, careful over there...you'll get banned for having an opinion
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

I can't believe those people take vault chats seriously.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

jesxsmith wrote:
I love that he does the chats and I hope he keeps on doing them. I like having a little behind the scenes glimpse,
Behind the scenes, really?
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
jesxsmith
Little Bird

Post by jesxsmith »

Bikedo wrote:
jesxsmith wrote:
I love that he does the chats and I hope he keeps on doing them. I like having a little behind the scenes glimpse,
Behind the scenes, really?
yeah?

If you weed through the jokes and sass (which I also like) he says some interesting stuff. Most recently the info about where the title for High Ball Stepper came from and the poem was nice, occasional tour stop opinions, trivia type stuff, etc.. I wasn't saying he takes us in the recording studio with him.
Last edited by jesxsmith on Tue May 26, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So he was in chat again yesterday evening? Can we thank Consequence of Sound for no transcript this morning?
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:So he was in chat again yesterday evening? Can we thank Consequence of Sound for no transcript this morning?
Apparently I'm not getting the notifications from Twitter anymore. Weird...
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Got the notification but was busy when it came through.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."