Little Room show downloads

Everything in Stripes
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Re: Little Room show downloads

Post by jrfhoutx »

Kali Durga wrote:
jrfhoutx wrote:which is good, cause those file hosts were really annoying with limiting the number of downloads you could have in a day... they should consider 180uploads, no download limits...
We're exploring the idea of switching over to torrents, but the current links will remain as is until the logistics are figured out. Any other recommendations are definitely appreciated in the meantime. If torrenting doesn't work out, then switching hosts to a company that is easier to upload/download to/from is certainly worth considering. Depending on the cost, of course.
depending on the total amount of storage space required I'd be interested in permanently seeding torrents of the shows, but again 180uploads has no up/download limits, only a captcha for verification, and no cost...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I'm the wrong person to talk to about torrents because this will be the first I've really delved into them, but it was suggested over there that we use OpenBitTorrent. Would love to have anyone who's interested help us out with this because so far I think there are only three of us actively seeding and only two links are up so far. Conversation about the process is here-- http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/inde ... =71019&hl=

The thread with links is here-- http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/inde ... opic=71038
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

wow. no offense meant to anyone involved, but that looks like it's going to be a mess...

the files that need to be torrented are the ones that are on the host site, and only those, allowing any format from anyone is going to create chaos and ultimately make it harder to police, and lower the overall quality, not to mention require more drive space from the seeders... in the end once the files are downloaded the individual can convert to whatever format they want, it's not hard and doesn't take long.

do you know how big the archive is? (how many GB) I have a spare PC, an empty terabyte drive, plenty of bandwidth, no problem spending $8 for a one month subscription to filefactory to download the whole archive, and no problem spending a couple of my off days downloading and making new torrents...
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Saw your post over there this morning. Please feel free to voice your opinions there, too. I think the folks involved in this are all grownup enough to take constructive suggestions. I'm actually inclined to agree with you-- I personally end up converting everything because my car stereo will only play mp3s, but I like the idea of keeping the Lossless thread lossless. As you pointed out, it keeps things cleaner and more streamlined.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."