"No White Stripes Reunion Ever"

Everything in Stripes
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: "No White Stripes Reunion Ever"

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I'll also never understand why bands say "even though we brought something great into the world, we will never, never play together again no matter what." What's the point of that? To say "never"?
Perhaps so that people will stop asking them about it constantly?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:Perhaps so that people will stop asking them about it constantly?
That can't be it. History has taught us that even when an artist says "never, no matter what" they STILL get the question in every interview. If anything, saying "never again" adds MORE questions to the interview. Now instead of:

Interviewer: "So, Jack. Any chance the White Stripes will get back together?"
Jack: "I don't know, man. You really never know."
Interviewer: "Cool, cool. So, about Blunderbuss..."

It becomes:

"Interviewer: "So, Jack. Any chance the White Stripes will get back together?"
Jack: "No. Not ever. No matter what."
Interviewer: "Wow, that sounds serious. Did you and Meg have a falling out?"

And it snowballs from there. See what I mean?

McCartney once said that if John hadn't been killed the Beatles would have most definitely gotten back together at some point for a reunion. Hell, they proved it with the "Threetles" for the Anthology series in the 90's. But Jack has defined himself as a man of his word, a man of integrity. So when he says "not ever, no matter what" he's likely to stand solid as stone by that statement forever.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to say "never", not at all. I'm just trying to figure out why he would say it. He was so excited about getting the White Stripes back in the studio in that interview, less than a year before the announced break-up.

Anyway, I'm just a fan. As a fan this stuff is interesting to me. Not a big deal at the end of the day, of course. Just a fun conversation.

(and I appreciate that some of you will say "just leave it alone" or "dude, Meg doesn't want to do it so drop it", that won't bother me)
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Though... He did say "I would probably say absolutely not." He didn't say "not ever, no matter what". So...
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

The part that is the most interesting about it for me is the possibility that Jack was already working on solo stuff before the White Stripes broke up. Almost feels like a betrayal even though I know it's not.
I'm kind of fascinated by the idea that Jack doesn't just release a song because he's written it - he saves them until it feels right to release them. Who knows how many songs he has kicking around in his head that he hasn't had a good reason to put out yet? Maybe there are a few on Blunderbuss that could have been on the next Stripes album.
I don't know, talking about it makes it seem a lot less exciting than it is in my head.

Along the same lines as Shane, it's just really hard as a fan to come to terms with the fact that it's over and Meg is gone. That's what it keeps going back to.
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
boundtoreactnow2012
Little Bird

Post by boundtoreactnow2012 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:

He was so excited about getting the White Stripes back in the studio in that interview, less than a year before the announced break-up.

What interview is that mate? I'd like to see it if you wouldn't mind posting it :)