Tales from the road

Everything in Stripes
hawke000

Re: Tales from the road

Post by hawke000 »

I feel like im experiencing the white stripes for the first time again...
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

hawke000 wrote:I feel like im experiencing the white stripes for the first time again...
yeah, definitely. I miss them so much
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Absolutely amazing stories. You got to be a part of something historic and so glad you are sharing it with us.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Jack should give you a green series. Epic stuff thanks for sharing.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

woodisgood wrote:This isn't gold. This isn't platinum. It's PRICELESS. Thank you for all this, and many thanks for whatever you lay on us next!! A total treat! _/\o_
That's exactly what I thought reading through all of this-- it's priceless.

Meg trashing a dressing room... I never in a million years would'a imagined that if you hadn't told us about it. Very cool.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

flattop2001 wrote:Jack should give you a green series. Epic stuff thanks for sharing.
Seconded.
presence
Little Bird

Post by presence »

Interesting, yes, thanks, getting somewhat into the "unauthorized biography" territory though...hope alls well that ends well.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

presence wrote:Interesting, yes, thanks, getting somewhat into the "unauthorized biography" territory though...hope alls well that ends well.
Does this guy have to "authorize" his own biography of what he has done??
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
presence
Little Bird

Post by presence »

Nope
TheTimeBeing
Little Bird

Post by TheTimeBeing »

Glad you're all enjoying the wander down memory lane.
There are plenty of pictures and stories that are too personal to share. I've tried to be mindful of respecting the trust of everybody involved, when sharing these.
We're nearing the end of my time. One more installment soon.
In the meantime here's some more pics from this period.
Cheers!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Oh man, that photo of Jack and Meg back to back at the drum kit... Just killer. And love the one of him shooting you, that's terrific!
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
DasaniYoni

Post by DasaniYoni »

TheTimeBeing wrote:The middle.
Next stop Munich. Orangehouse, an old warehouse venue, muddy and wet. I played a song with The Von Bondies on the Rhodes, which was already set up for The White Stripes. Having a ball. The bus broke down halfway to Milan, so we waited roadside for 4 hours until two ancient mechanics arrived. They were laughing at the spectacle of a crippled flash-looking bus, “who eez zis? Ze Beatlez?” We raced to the gig late, setup, soundchecked, show, loaded out, drove, heard that George Harrison died.

Mojo Magazine came to Toulouse to get photos and interviews. I remember being mightily impressed that they sent people from England.

In Barcelona we all (except Meg and Jason) went to Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia, one of the few opportunities to do some sightseeing.

The Brussels venue was some horrible ‘enormodome’ type of complex that had multiple venues inside. Steve Vai was playing in one of the adjoining auditoriums. All over the floors were coloured paint stripes. If you wanted venue x follow the yellow stripe. If you want catering follow blue, etc. At show time we were following the red stripe through this maze. At a stair landing miles from the room The White Stripes in their red and whites, paused to let Steve Vai in his purple velvets pass and carry on down the stairs. In silence. Both lost. A great moment.

Europe leg winding up in Amstredam at Melkweg. Our paths crossed with The 5,6,7,8s here so they were added to the bill. And after a big blowout party they hitched a ride in the bus back to London.

The last show of tour was London Forum. Jack had wanted the band to play outside on the awning, or up in the balcony for an encore. But everything was either not allowed, or too expensive, or too easily lame. Fantastic show, the London crowd was pumped by this point. Jack threw in Gene Vincent’s Baby Blue, always a good sign.

I’d had a bloody fantastic holiday! Back to NZ fizzing.

Their next tour was Big Day Out in New Zealand and Australia January 2002. Ben Swank was down as tech/ally so I didn’t do the whole tour, just the NZ dates: Big Day Out and a warm up gig at the Dogs Bollix.

The Dog Bollix was jammed, the night before the first BDO. At the BDO I had to race home to retrieve my Fender Twin when one wasn’t supplied to their stage. I returned plugging it in as they walked on stage. After their BDO set Jack, Meg, John and I had a meeting in the hotel Jacuzzi. There was some more Europe touring and an East Coast USA tour on the cards, and if I wanted in, they’d start paying me. Needless to say I was up for it.

3 albums in and Europe was addicted. America still needed convincing.

During the flights and hotel rooms to London I helped John assemble the clocks.

The first show was a last minute addition in London at 93ft East in Brick Lane. Whirlwind Heat were tour support this time, and for this show they added The Buff Medways to the bill. 400 capacity, sold out in 10 minutes, there was massive London buzz around them at this point. Jack pulled out The Big 3 Killed My Baby and Do, both rarities in the live set.

The Europe tour was 500-1200 capacity rooms, finishing up in Scandinavia which was something new and pretty exciting.

After the tour I met up with Meg and friends in NY to catch a few Greenhornes and Holly Golightly shows, before heading to Detroit to start the East Coast tour.

The East Coast tour was supported by Brendan Benson and band, with the Whirlwind Heat, The Soledad Brothers, and The Datsuns all having a turn as the 3rd band.

I was stoked to have my mates from back home The Datsuns opening some shows. They had just come from SXSW and a tour with The Mooney Suzuki and were on fire with self-confidence. After 3 shows with us they went onto London, and once again Europe/UK went mad for them first.

New York for 4 nights at the Bowery Ballroom was a highlight. New York had caught the bug by now, and everyone wanted a slice of the action. Aftershow parties in the tiny dressing room. The Strokes everywhere. Julian insisting that Jack listen to his new song on cassette on a shitty ghetto blaster. Macaulay Culkin! Bette Midler!? I remember hearing that Bob Dylan sent his regards and would’ve liked to have come to one of the shows, but the ruckus he’d generate in such a small place prevented him from coming. Jack was not only starting to meet his heros, but they were big fans of his! And of course the film crew in their white lab coats, capturing everything. I’m sure you all know about the subsequent film. What a shame they did such a lousy job. It was an exciting time.

The tour ended in Morgantown, West Virginia with Jack playing This Protector, the only time I ever heard him play it. West Virginians will know why.

Back to Detroit for a rest. I’d either crash on the spare bed at Megs, or on Jacks couch. One last show down the road at MSU in East Lansing, then home to NZ for a short break.

The momentum was gathering.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but you really should consider writing this professionally as a WS tour biographer or some sort. Your stories and photos are amazing, thank you!
chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

Best thread for a long time, i look forward to each installment.
Just awesome - thanks so much for sharing this stuff.
crimpies
Little Acorn

Post by crimpies »

Great posts!

I can't see any of the pictures though, it says I don't have the correct permissions?
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

crimpies wrote:Great posts!

I can't see any of the pictures though, it says I don't have the correct permissions?
It might be a browser thing Chris - no dramas here