Jack White fan picked playlist on BBC 6 Music

Everything in Stripes
ProducerWill
Little Bird

Jack White fan picked playlist on BBC 6 Music

Post by ProducerWill »

Hello,

I work on a show called Now Playing @6Music on BBC 6 Music and this Friday between 7-9pm (GMT) we are putting a special show together to honour Jack White and the documentary about him – Red White and Blac: The Jack White Story – which is being broadcast for the first time on 6 Music this Sunday.

We want you to help pick tracks to include in the Ultimate Jack White Playlist – your favourite songs from the great man, collaborations he was involved with, artists who inspired him and people he inspired to create an awesome celebration of him.

More information is available on our blog - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nowplaying/2 ... hite.shtml.

And we also have a Spotify playlist people can suggest tracks on - http://open.spotify.com/user/bbcnowplay ... KeZPGORysN.

It would be great to hear your thoughts, and really look forward to hearing from you and using your input to create an awesome show of music.
Kaber
Little People

Re: Jack White fan picked playlist on BBC 6 Music

Post by Kaber »

Would be good to hear some stuff from the bbc archive such as
Who's to say covered by jack white
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ I'd definitely vote for Jack's version of Who's To Say. As many of the White Stripes b-sides as possible should be included in this show.

But how you're going to encapsulate the diversity of Jack's music in only 60 minutes is beyond me.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Take a look around on the boards Will - there are a few "What's your favourite song from ______" in the bands section
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Listening to this on line while snowed in at ORD. Pretty good stuff. The show on Sunday Red White and Black is the story of Jack White from start to present day

The DJ also said that JW is narrating the show on Sunday so should be pretty interesting.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

flattop2001 wrote:Listening to this on line while snowed in at ORD. Pretty good stuff. The show on Sunday Red White and Black is the story of Jack White from start to present day

The DJ also said that JW is narrating the show on Sunday so should be pretty interesting.
Oooo, that does sound interesting. Need to brush up on my time-zones.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So this broadcast worked here in the US? I've had issues sometimes with BBC broadcasts. Definitely looking forward to the one on Sunday.

And, how was the playlist? Did they squeeze in a good assortment, any good rarities?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:So this broadcast worked here in the US? I've had issues sometimes with BBC broadcasts. Definitely looking forward to the one on Sunday.

And, how was the playlist? Did they squeeze in a good assortment, any good rarities?
I just started listening when flattop mentioned it, playing White Moon now.

And yes, it is available in the U.S.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Pretty predictable Stripes/DW/E6/Bowie etc... Played a clip of JW from the Sunday show explaining why he formed band with Meg (which I wont spoil) and part of the bootleg recording of the stripes playing Moonage Daydream. Finished with White Moon which after UGWNL is the only way to close anything Stripes related IMO.
Kali Durga wrote:So this broadcast worked here in the US? I've had issues sometimes with BBC broadcasts. Definitely looking forward to the one on Sunday.

Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

OH there is another hour hosted by Tom Robinson. For once not too worried about delays... Now playing You're Quiet.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

E6...?
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Kali Durga wrote:E6...?
Electric six
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

This whole "narrated by JW" thing, are they just pulling old sound bites or will it be new discussion?
ProducerWill
Little Bird

Post by ProducerWill »

It's a brand new documentary - full details here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019j24f
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Post by tanzaib »

ProducerWill wrote:It's a brand new documentary - full details here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019j24f
Great stuff looking forward to this...
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here