Retiring the Stripes Music?

Everything in Stripes
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Retiring the Stripes Music?

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I figure this is worth a discussion. Now that the White Stripes are no more, is it safe to assume most of their songs will never be performed live by Jack White again? I realize neither the Raconteurs nor the Dead Weather can lay claim to these songs in a live setting. But I'm curious... If Jack ever releases a solo album and tours as simply "Jack White", do you think we'll ever hear a handful of Stripes songs live? I know he's already performed "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" at SXSW without Meg and "I Fought Pirhanas" for "It Might Get Loud" without her as well.

So how about it? Are these songs dead to live venues? Would a solo Jack toss us a bone or two? Cynics and optimists alike... Crucify me, educate me or otherwise engage me. Go.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Retiring the Stripes Music?

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Would a solo Jack toss us a bone or two?
Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did, but I wouldn't sit around expecting it either (just in case). But the real question is when, or even if, we'll ever get solo Jack.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I'd like to hear Jack doing the solo thing for at least an album. Wouldn't want him to end the Raconteurs though.
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

If we ever got any Jack solo work, i'm not sure he would play any Stripes material- It just doesn't seem in his character to do so, especially with the tone of the WS split announcement.

But... You never know what he'll do...
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

The videos that Blackwell posted the other day from early Stripes days (2000?) were Jack solo doing Stripes material and covers--if he did it before, both recently and anciently, he can do it again. If he wants to.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Aquamarine wrote:The videos that Blackwell posted the other day from early Stripes days (2000?) were Jack solo doing Stripes material and covers--if he did it before, both recently and anciently, he can do it again. If he wants to.
Agreed. I believe the Jack set at SXSW shows clearly that he will play White Stripes music as a solo musician.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

My 1000th post on the Swirl and I'm using it to once again lament the fact I never heard a single White Stripes song performed live by the band. I'd also like to reaffirm how inspired I am by the music of the Stripes. Discovering them felt like discovering music all over again. No matter how many years go by or how many times I'm told "no" I'll always hope to see them live one day.

Also, very proud to be a member of the Swirl. Glad I found you guys.
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:My 1000th post on the Swirl and I'm using it to once again lament the fact I never heard a single White Stripes song performed live by the band. I'd also like to reaffirm how inspired I am by the music of the Stripes. Discovering them felt like discovering music all over again. No matter how many years go by or how many times I'm told "no" I'll always hope to see them live one day.

Also, very proud to be a member of the Swirl. Glad I found you guys.
Congratulations and enjoy little ghosthood!