RPM of 3 inch records

Everything in Stripes
lightschuh
Little Acorn

RPM of 3 inch records

Post by lightschuh »

I was just wondering the speed. I don't own a triple inchophone but would like to know. :)
barrowc
Little Cream Soda

Re: RPM of 3 inch records

Post by barrowc »

From http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/inde ... &p=1682272
I took a close-up photo of "The Denial Twist" 3" record and counted the grooves* (how sad am I?) There were 89.

The CD version of the song runs for 2:32 - it comes up as 2:35 on my CD player but the last 3 seconds are silence.

If we allow for 3 seconds of silence at the start and end of the 3" record then this means that the 89 grooves cover 2:38 = 158 seconds = 1.775 seconds per revolution = 33.8 RPM so the real figure is almost certainly 33 1/3 RPM

---

*not including the run-in and run-out. I know that there is actually only one groove but "grooves" is easier than "intersections of the groove with the radius of the record" which is what I actually counted
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

barrowc wrote:From http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/inde ... &p=1682272
I took a close-up photo of "The Denial Twist" 3" record and counted the grooves* (how sad am I?) There were 89.

The CD version of the song runs for 2:32 - it comes up as 2:35 on my CD player but the last 3 seconds are silence.

If we allow for 3 seconds of silence at the start and end of the 3" record then this means that the 89 grooves cover 2:38 = 158 seconds = 1.775 seconds per revolution = 33.8 RPM so the real figure is almost certainly 33 1/3 RPM

---

*not including the run-in and run-out. I know that there is actually only one groove but "grooves" is easier than "intersections of the groove with the radius of the record" which is what I actually counted
That's some respectable dedication :lol:
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

love_islander wrote:

---

That's some respectable dedication :lol:

WORD.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

---

I'm speechless...
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
lightschuh
Little Acorn

Post by lightschuh »

thats amazing! thanks alot
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

hahahaha awesome!
Thanks for the info

I once asked elduderino to play his DT 3" and count the spins to find out the RPM but he refused to do this for me
I wonder why :P
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

The person that posted that needs to be here and not on the LR.
Panos, i played mine for my youtube channel. UltraRareVinyl
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

stoutr wrote: Panos, i played mine for my youtube channel. UltraRareVinyl
I checked them Chris.
Thanks for posting them
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Colin was the one that originally posted that on the LR..
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

uh is that absolutely destroying the record?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

The tone arm was adjusted to appropriate tracking weight so I didn't see any problem with it. The way these are made, just about any play probably has some sort of negative effect on them. They weren't exactly made for Hi-fi playback.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

rsimms3 wrote:
Dude, that's fucking uber. Nice turntable too. That's content with value, which is rare around these parts lately.
Grim
I am everything you hate...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Thanks Grim!