III

Rob Jones, Print Mafia, Von Munz, Aesthetic Apparatus and more..
TommyLittle
Little Cream Soda

III

Post by TommyLittle »

III
Last edited by TommyLittle on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Re: Frames

Post by 7th_son »

I've done 90% of mine through AmericanFrame.com. Great quality product. Way cheaper than a framer (unless you know one personally), but of course there is a DIY aspect to it as well.
dr.dano
Little Cream Soda

Post by dr.dano »

professionally, i know it's more expensive but they have all the right materials for the best protection. it has to be something that you want to keep for along time and that is worth the extra money. i have three of my rob jones framed and plan on doing the rest when i have the available money .
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

Kaber wrote:Tend to go with professionally - have deliberated over diy but never got around to it as yet. Frames for order tend to have plexiglass/plastic here.
What I do is buy the frame and the mat online (and sometimes the foam core backing) and then get the glass cut locally at a frame shop or art store. I have tried it, and I am not a fan of plexi at all. Always go with high quality acid free materials for the mat and backing.

I have tried the pro framer approach as well and the cost is just insane (easily 5 times or more what I can do on my own), at least around here. I also don't like leaving art with someone, no matter how professional they say they are. That's just a personal thing though.
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

7th_son wrote: I also don't like leaving art with someone, no matter how professional they say they are. That's just a personal thing though.
ditto
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

Definitely a DIY guy, I also am not a fan of plexiglass but there is really nothing wrong with it from a conservation standpoint. Doing a frame yourself is incredibly easy one small tip buy a point driver on eBay they are handy tools. If you ever want to see how easy it is to frame a print and are wanting to swap prints. Take the time to tear apart your frame, just peel the dust cover off of it bend back the points or remove them and you will be amazed at how easy and little work goes into it. As long as you buy conservation materials yourself the best framer in the world cannot do a better job than you can(or I guess what I am saying is they cannot protect the print anymore than if you do it yourself). I am guessing the markup on framing is around 500 percent if not more. I keep scanning Craigs list to find an underpinner and really good mitre saw for cheap if I find one I am going to start ordering wholesale molding and wholesale mats to do everything myself. All it takes is being able to read a tape measure and a little patience.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

dr.dano wrote:professionally, i know it's more expensive but they have all the right materials for the best protection. it has to be something that you want to keep for along time and that is worth the extra money. i have three of my rob jones framed and plan on doing the rest when i have the available money .
ditto. i go to michael's. only when i have 60% coupons & just a few days ago i took 4 to be framed & it was 50% off. granted, my eye wanders to the more expensive frames... lol but still, i my total was hefty, but would have been not doable at w/o the 50% off each one.

i do have a mat machine & my hubby does all our handbills & smaller posters, but the larger ( metal! lol) and more rare ( 2003) i prefer to take in.
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

harvestgirl wrote:
dr.dano wrote:professionally, i know it's more expensive but they have all the right materials for the best protection. it has to be something that you want to keep for along time and that is worth the extra money. i have three of my rob jones framed and plan on doing the rest when i have the available money .
ditto. i go to michael's. only when i have 60% coupons & just a few days ago i took 4 to be framed & it was 50% off. granted, my eye wanders to the more expensive frames... lol but still, i my total was hefty, but would have been not doable at w/o the 50% off each one.

i do have a mat machine & my hubby does all our handbills & smaller posters, but the larger ( metal! lol) and more rare ( 2003) i prefer to take in.

A quick FYI for people who take their prints to Michael's or any framers. Tell them that you want them to use Mylar corners or a Japanese hinge. Make sure you tell them not to use tape, their is acid free release tape that is not terrible but I would recommend not having them tape it at all. I have had one experience with a framer who decided to tape my print to the mat and it happens more than you think. If they use tape it often destroys the resale value of the print because if you ever decide to reframe it or sell it the print will be ripped or have to be cut away from the mat with a razor blade, which pretty much means you will always have a piece of tape adhered to the print. I would also suggest specifically telling them that you do not want the print drymounted, sometimes framers will take the liberty of drymounting a print if they cannot get it flat. I know that Michael's is one of the places that usually uses tape unless you request for them not to. Just a heads up that could save you some cash or heartache if you decided to sell the print in 20 years.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
3quid
Little Acorn

Post by 3quid »

I have had two prints that I removed from frames that used acid free linen tape to secure it to the mat board. The tape came off just fine and left no marks.
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

anything i frame, won't be sold. regarding the drymounting, my framer @ michael's told me she would not recommend it & they aren't allowed to do it on *anything* that has the artists signature on it. i still need to try american frame, but honestly i have had no issues @ michaels at all. kinda anxious this time since i have 4 in being framed :?
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

harvestgirl wrote:anything i frame, won't be sold. regarding the drymounting, my framer @ michael's told me she would not recommend it & they aren't allowed to do it on *anything* that has the artists signature on it. i still need to try american frame, but honestly i have had no issues @ michaels at all. kinda anxious this time since i have 4 in being framed :?
Nicole let's just say that in twenty years you grow tired of your prints and there is a market out there for White Stripes Rob Jones posters that pays very well for well stored mint condition prints. Having a framer use tape on a poster could potentially take 25-50 percent off the value of a print simply because you did not request that they use Mylar corners. It may sound trivial now and you might think that you would never ever sell any of your posters but what if they were worth 8-10k in 20 years in mint condition but only worth 2k with tape on the back. Look at some of the old Hendrix and other prints that are worth a boatload of money. It just makes sense to me to protect your investment. In fact it is not too late to call Michael's and request that they do not use tape since they are probably waiting on the materials. Just food for thought.
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

it has taken me time & $ to be able to buy the ones i love now, i'd more than likely pass them on to my eldest son, whom i now would love them, rather than sell them. these posters aren't an investment for me ( perhaps they are for you & others) they are pieces of art i truly love & plan to enjoy for a very, very long time. i don't have duplicates, i don't keep some back to trade when the time arises, i am buying/framing the ones i plan to hang in my home for years to come ♥ i do appreciate your input, as always and i will M's tomorrow & see what they say/see if they have framed any yet.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

harvestgirl wrote:it has taken me time & $ to be able to buy the ones i love now, i'd more than likely pass them on to my eldest son, whom i now would love them, rather than sell them. these posters aren't an investment for me ( perhaps they are for you & others) they are pieces of art i truly love & plan to enjoy for a very, very long time. i don't have duplicates, i don't keep some back to trade when the time arises, i am buying/framing the ones i plan to hang in my home for years to come ♥ i do appreciate your input, as always and i will M's tomorrow & see what they say/see if they have framed any yet.
I know what you mean I really do not view mine as an investment and I have certain ones that I have given each of my son's, but at the same time if they ever want to sell them I would want them to be in tip top condition to be able to do so. Please post pictures when yours come back I always like to see what people choose everyone knows I am the plain black frame and black mat kind of boring person.
Kaber
Little People

n/a

Post by Kaber »

n/a
Last edited by Kaber on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.