Speckled Lafayette Blues First Press (Mystery Solved)

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Speckled Lafayette Blues First Press (Mystery Solved)

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I finally acquired a first pressing Lafayette Blues. But when I got it I noticed something right away. It wasn't flat white. It was speckled, almost like dark sand was sprinkled all over the white vinyl on both sides. I put it through my washing system right away, thinking maybe it was just incredibly dirty. After the wash it looked exactly the same, no change. I tried removing a small speck along the outer edge and realized it was inside the vinyl or the vinyl was stained. It wasn't coming off. None of them were coming off.

My second thought was maybe it's mold or mildew. But the label is clean, as is the cover. If it was mold or mildew I assume the paper label and cover would be worse off than the white vinyl. But I'm not 100% convinced it isn't some kind of living water damage. And if it's mold or mildew I don't want to put it with the rest of my collection for fear of spreading.

I've also heard theories that this happened during pressing. But I'm not sure how it could have happened during pressing. Is it possible to get this kind of speckling? I thought the pellets were much bigger than this. This has the same kind of look as cookie crumbs floating around in milk. Black pellet "dust" would've had to mix in with white pellets while mixing the puck to get this effect and I'm not sure how likely that would be.

Anyway, there are the thought processes. What it looks like and what it could be. My question to you all is... Have you ever seen a record with this pattern? If so, do you remember the titles or do you have photos. Also, have you ever had a water damaged record with this pattern? Keep in mind that I have tried (safe) methods of cleaning this thing and none of the specks are budging. Also keep in mind BOTH sides look exactly like this.

Have at it, all. What do you think?

Last edited by shaneoftheroad on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
higherlimits
Little People

Re: Speckled Lafayette Blues?

Post by higherlimits »

I had a spec on a POSTTD once and assumed it was a defect. When I had duplicates it's the one I sold.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Does it sound dirty? Or does it play clean?
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

woodisgood wrote:Does it sound dirty? Or does it play clean?
Haven't been able to spin it properly yet. My receiver has been out of commission, getting another this weekend. I did run it through to see if it skipped around, played straight through both sides.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Re: Speckled Lafayette Blues First Press?

Post by shaneoftheroad »

If someone here was releasing vinyl that looked like this it would be the "Cookies & Cream" variant. That's really what it looks like.

Another consideration, I thought maybe it had been painted or something. But there's no paint smell at all, nothing peeled off when I spun it, and the white sides in the middle are all white. Also, I held it up to a small flashlight and you can see the light through the vinyl. It's definitely white. There's no way this was painted, at least no way I can see.

It should also be noted that it's shiny in the light, not dull as you'd imagine. It's clean vinyl.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

No ideas?
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

Clean it?
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

If it's not dirt—and I really don't think it is—I'm putting my money on it simply being a dirty speckly batch of white. Probably a few out there that look exactly like this.

You waited this long to finally score one of these bad boys and you end up with a head-scratcher, eh?
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

My button slip mat transferred a bit to an lp a couple years ago. I left it on the turntable over night, which I shouldn't have. It didn't affect play - but it had a spotty look to it (black vinyl though - so not sure what it would do to white vinyl).

Just another hypothesis to ponder.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Thanks, fellas. This is gonna drive me batty for a while. I guess I'll just try to let it be and be grateful for finally having it.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

I don't own a first press. But I've seen one in person that a friend owns. And his looked very similar to yours and the way you describe it.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Dammit. Heard back from Blackwell and he thinks it just looks really, really dirty. I've cleaned it twice now with my standard method. Now I'm waiting for some label protectors so I can really get in there. But I don't think these specks are going anywhere. I think they're part of the record. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it's driving me a bit batty. All I want to know for sure is it's not the result of some kind of water damage that will harm my other records in a shared box.

I think if I could see photos of any other record in the world with this pattern, just to prove to me this is possible in pressing, I could let it go. It doesn't even have to be a Lafayette Blues. Just any other record in the world with this particular speckled pattern all over the record, both sides.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (a popular misquote from a fine film)
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Post by maxman142001 »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Dammit. Heard back from Blackwell and he thinks it just looks really, really dirty. I've cleaned it twice now with my standard method. Now I'm waiting for some label protectors so I can really get in there. But I don't think these specks are going anywhere. I think they're part of the record. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it's driving me a bit batty. All I want to know for sure is it's not the result of some kind of water damage that will harm my other records in a shared box.

I think if I could see photos of any other record in the world with this pattern, just to prove to me this is possible in pressing, I could let it go. It doesn't even have to be a Lafayette Blues. Just any other record in the world with this particular speckled pattern all over the record, both sides.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (a popular misquote from a fine film)
Ive owned one with the same "issue"....i think it might be more common than Blackwell thinks. More people need to dig out their LB 1st Press and post pics!!!
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I'll be damned. The pressing plant just sent me an email confirming a handful of these came out with speckles when they switched the colors over. I asked for further clarification to finally (FINALLY!) put this issue to bed. I'll post again when I hear back again.
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I'll be damned. The pressing plant just sent me an email confirming a handful of these came out with speckles when they switched the colors over. I asked for further clarification to finally (FINALLY!) put this issue to bed. I'll post again when I hear back again.
Which pressing plant was it? I'm asking for a friend. :lol: