Flying Bomb Surprise Package Vol. 2 Question (Need Opinions)

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Flying Bomb Surprise Package Vol. 2 Question (Need Opinions)

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I have a topic for debate.

The heart of my record collection is my White Stripes original first pressing singles collection. But I have rules. For instance, I don't count variants (thanks to the never-to-be-obtained HPLB) unless the variants are the only first pressings. The white Italy LB satisfies my criteria there. However, I'm torn on compilations whenever the first appearance of a particular song is on a compilation (before being released on its own).

Perfect example, the Flying Bomb Surprise Package Vol. 2. This is technically the first time "Candy Cane Children" appears on a vinyl single. So would that be considered the first pressing of "Candy Cane Children"? Or is the ACTUAL release of the song the official first pressing?

Trying to reconcile whether or not I need it to complete my White Stripes first pressing singles collection. So, discuss my fellow fiends. Is the Flying Bomb Surprise Package Vol. 2 considered the first pressing of "Candy Cane Children" even though the actual song was issued as a White Stripes single down the road?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Flying Bomb Surprise Package Vol. 2 Question (Need Opini

Post by rsimms3 »

You've already answered your own question. You are collecting White Stripes first pressing singles. Flying Bomb, in your own words, is a comp and not a single.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

rsimms3 wrote:You've already answered your own question. You are collecting White Stripes first pressing singles. Flying Bomb, in your own words, is a comp and not a single.
Well I'll be damned. Thank you.
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

I don't have any of the Surprise Package 7"s, I believe there are 3 different colours - Red (250 copies) Black (250 copies) & a re-press on Grey (100 copies). I may be wrong. But yes I would regard this an ORIGINAL White Stripes issue - 1st press. It's just never been on the top of my ISO list since a) I'm not bothered about the other bands on it and b) It's a pretty poor song. I've thought about getting these since @ 2003 and never pulled the trigger on one. Wish I had, these don't come up very often.

p.s. I do like variants and DESPERATELY want a Rainbo press of Hello Operator on SFTRI - (has an R + some numbers in the run-out groove). Should, in theory be as common as a first press.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

destijl wrote:p.s. I do like variants and DESPERATELY want a Rainbo press of Hello Operator on SFTRI - (has an R + some numbers in the run-out groove). Should, in theory be as common as a first press.
I traded off my Rainbo presses for original presses a couple years ago. The Rainbo presses are apparently difficult to find because they're almost never listed as such. I'll keep my eyes open for you.
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
destijl wrote:p.s. I do like variants and DESPERATELY want a Rainbo press of Hello Operator on SFTRI - (has an R + some numbers in the run-out groove). Should, in theory be as common as a first press.
I traded off my Rainbo presses for original presses a couple years ago. The Rainbo presses are apparently difficult to find because they're almost never listed as such. I'll keep my eyes open for you.
I managed to get the LSMAA from you. And I thank you.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

destijl wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
I managed to get the LSMAA from you. And I thank you.
hahaha Wow, I can't believe I didn't put that together. You're very welcome, it was a good trade for both of us.
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

Here is my rule:
If I like it, I buy it...
The flying bomb records are some of my most favorite
Grim
I am everything you hate...
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Grimtale wrote:Here is my rule:
Grim
But I like everything, man. I have to set rules to complete sections as I go. Otherwise it drives me crazy. But I like everything the Stripes did. Everything.
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Grim
But I like everything, man. I have to set rules to complete sections as I go. Otherwise it drives me crazy. But I like everything the Stripes did. Everything.
IMO make an exception to your rule and get the flying bomb. Such a kick ass record. However, the one with the soledad bros on it is the best by far
Grim
I am everything you hate...
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

Grimtale wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Grim
IMO make an exception to your rule and get the flying bomb. Such a kick ass record. However, the one with the soledad bros on it is the best by far
Grim
yeah I agree, this WS flying bomb its one of my favorites, definitely worth getting
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

It's on my list for sure. For sure.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

The one with The Dirtys, Bantam Rooster and Wildbunch is the best.
MWooten34
Little Cream Soda

Post by MWooten34 »

I think this is a cool goal. As a WS novice, I'm not sure what all to be on the hunt for. Do you have a list of the singles to track down to complete this?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

MWooten34 wrote:I think this is a cool goal. As a WS novice, I'm not sure what all to be on the hunt for. Do you have a list of the singles to track down to complete this?
I'll message you later today with the list I used. I'm only missing one as of now (LSMAA first pressing). It's taken me a few years but it's been a good time. If you have patience you'll eventually get everything you want.