PRICE: Lafayette Blues vs. Let's Shake Hands

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I've been wondering for quite some time now... Why is the first pressing of Lafayette Blues consistently going for more than the first pressing of Let's Shake Hands? LSH was the first single, it seems it would be historically more important. Is it the specter of the HPLB that propels Lafayette Blues beyond the actual first Stripes single? What do you guys think?
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Re: PRICE: Lafayette Blues vs. Let's Shake Hands

Post by woodisgood »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I've been wondering for quite some time now... Why is the first pressing of Lafayette Blues consistently going for more than the first pressing of Let's Shake Hands? LSH was the first single, it seems it would be historically more important. Is it the specter of the HPLB that propels Lafayette Blues beyond the actual first Stripes single? What do you guys think?
I think at least part of the equation is the fact that the only way to get the original inner "pics" sleeve is from a 1st press "LB." I wouldn't claim that's the major reason, but I always believed it to be part of the reason.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

The HPLB probably have something to do with the price, but I think the price is higher because of the "pinks". It creates variation within the release, which makes some copies more sought after than another. Some want a solid white copy, others want a heavily marbled, even solid pink copy. Then there's the franc copies and the HP.
All the LSH has going is its rareness and place as the first WS release.
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:The HPLB probably have something to do with the price, but I think the price is higher because of the "pinks". It creates variation within the release, which makes some copies more sought after than another. Some want a solid white copy, others want a heavily marbled, even solid pink copy. Then there's the franc copies and the HP.
All the LSH has going is its rareness and place as the first WS release.
Oh, I can definitely see the pinks going for way more money because it's a flaw in the pressing and there aren't many out there. But I'm talking about the plain white. Still, I think you're right. Since there are so many variations it just all bleeds over to all copies. Makes sense.
KNARF
Little Cream Soda

Post by KNARF »

I'm happy someone brought this up. I've been shocked seeing the ITALY Lafayette Blues 1st pressings
get double the $ than the ITALY Lets Shake Hands 1st pressings. Completely absurd! The Red ITALY LSH is TWS rookie card.
It's the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle of WS records. I always thought that record should be worth at least double the LB. It's legendary!
That thin, delicate sleeve is so fitting for a 2-piece band from Detroit just starting to record. By far the best record for your money!

It's all about "Advertising". Regardless what label it's on, or which pressing, or if it comes with a franc note, or if its hand painted,
all the "Lafayette Blues" records have gained major notoriety and value thanks to all the buzz surrounding those hand painted ones.
There is no reason why the White Stripes 2nd release should sell for even the same price–nevermind double the LSH 1st press.
Makes not any sense at all. The baseball card industry has got it right. Rookie card are worth 10 times what 2nd year cards are worth.

IDEA:
I say all White Swirlers unite and declare the 1st ever pressing of the 1st ever White Stripes record to be worth $1,333.
No one shall sell one for less. Eventually if someone REALLY wants one, they'll have to pay.
Okay, right now everyone who's looking for a LSH 1st press hates me. But those who have one must love me.

The White Stripes ITALY 1st Pressing "Lets Shake Hands" Red Vinyl
$1,333

If you sell it for less, you disrespect The White Stripes!!!
Who agrees? Who's in? Come on, look at this beauty!!!
LSH.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KNARF on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My sister thanks you and I thank you"
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, that seems a bit extreme. haha (and Italy put out those singles, not SFTRI)
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

KNARF wrote:I'm happy someone brought this up. I've been shocked seeing the SFTRI Lafayette Blues 1st pressings
get double the $ than the SFTRI Lets Shake Hands 1st pressings. Completely absurd! The Red SFTRI LSH is TWS rookie card.
It's the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle of WS records. I always thought that record should be worth at least double the LB. It's legendary!
That thin, delicate sleeve is so fitting for a 2-piece band from Detroit just starting to record. By far the best record for your money!

It's all about "Advertising". Regardless what label it's on, or which pressing, or if it comes with a franc note, or if its hand painted,
all the "Lafayette Blues" records have gained major notoriety and value thanks to those hand painted ones.
There is no reason why the White Stripes 2nd release should sell for even the same price–nevermind double the LSH 1st press.
Makes not any sense at all. The baseball card industry has got it right. Rookie card are worth 10 times what 2nd year cards are worth.

IDEA:
I say all White Swirlers unite and declare the 1st ever pressing of the 1st ever White Stripes record to be worth $1,333.
No one shall sell one for less. Eventually if someone REALLY wants one, they'll have to pay.
Okay, right now everyone who's looking for a LSH 1st press hates me. But those who have one must love me.

The White Stripes SFTRI 1st Pressing "Lets Shake Hands" Red Vinyl
$1,333

If you sell it for less, you disrespect The White Stripes!!!
Who agrees? Who's in? Come on, look at this beauty!!!
LSH.jpg
It's Italy records not sftri.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Hence the label that reads Italy. Boof.
Hyperbole used for effect!
KNARF
Little Cream Soda

Post by KNARF »

Thanks. Of course its ITALY. Past my bedtime. Fixed the typos.
Now lets see if we can get everyone on board and bring respect to the 1st pressing of the most collectible band on earth!
No reason a Nirvana 1st pressing should be worth more than The White Stripes.

Yeah, I SAID IT!!!
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Wait, you want a $300 record to now be worth $1,200? Okay...? Haha
KNARF
Little Cream Soda

Post by KNARF »

Jettkoral wrote:Wait, you want a $300 record to now be worth $1,200? Okay...? Haha
Jettkoral, You have one for $300? Send the Paypal invoice to frank@knarfny.com
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

KNARF wrote:
Jettkoral wrote:Wait, you want a $300 record to now be worth $1,200? Okay...? Haha
Jettkoral, You have one for $300? Send the Paypal invoice to frank@knarfny.com
Seriously? Deal. ;)
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

How much is a 1st LB worth? White.
KNARF
Little Cream Soda

Post by KNARF »

Not sure what swirlers have sold them to each other, but as far as Ebay goes lately
LSH has been in the $200 range while LB in the $400 range.
That's the absurdity that inspired this thread.

If LSH was really worth $1,333, I'd say LB would stay in the $350–$450 range.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

There's not as much difference in price between them any more, not aaccording to the last few Popsike listings anyway.

Lafayette:

$355
$340
$350
$325
$355
$253
$305

Hands:

$350
$310
$213