Elephant Reissue! (RSD 2013)

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
SpaceCadetWilliam
Little Bird

Re: Elephant Reissue! (RSD 2013)

Post by SpaceCadetWilliam »

I blew it. I got there with 20 minutes to open and there was already a huge line.
When I got in all the elephants were gone :(

I'm legit bummed. So it goes though, I should have got there earlier.
camyorke
Little Bird

Post by camyorke »

SpaceCadetWilliam wrote:It's looking like Australia got the shaft from Nashville this year :(

Edit:

So it looks like thornbury records has some! He said he wasn't sure the price but to budget 40 bucks and you should be fine
Ill be there when they open :D
Get one? I spoke to the guy on FB this morning, reckons they sold out pretty quick!
chanticleer
Little Cream Soda

Post by chanticleer »

Two quick points about this:

1) It's just the V2 pressing rather than a remaster. The runout grooves have the V2 matrix numbers scratched out to confirm this.

2) I've been in two UK indies this morning and they had dozens. There should be plenty around over the next week on the trade markets.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

chanticleer wrote:Two quick points about this:

1) It's just the V2 pressing rather than a remaster. The runout grooves have the V2 matrix numbers scratched out to confirm this.

2) I've been in two UK indies this morning and they had dozens. There should be plenty around over the next week on the trade markets.
This is what I'm thinking. Don't over-pay today. eBay will be flooded soon.
matlock665
Little Cream Soda

Post by matlock665 »

Every place I went to had like 4 copies, no luck anywhere. Hello eBay. Did find Pujol however.
DBMTB
Little Bird

Post by DBMTB »

Someone in the JumbleJumble RSD thread is posting that it's a crappy pressing.

So no loss I didn't get one then....
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

chanticleer wrote:1) It's just the V2 pressing rather than a remaster. The runout grooves have the V2 matrix numbers scratched out to confirm this.
I'd assume this was because the way Jack mastered it for the original pressing, it just didn't warrant a remaster.
not all of the [TMR] music has been cut to vinyl from analog tape. why not? because it's not always possible. it's not as simple as some people think. would we like to do it everyntime? of course we would.

for one the tape machines used at third man studios are highly unique and can't be found everywhere.
another reason is that if you do what's called a "cross fade" such as between the songs 'blue blood blues' and 'hustle and cuss' on [Sea of Cowards], you can't mix that onto tape without having three machines of the same model type. two to mix from, and one to mix down to. not very easy to do, and very expensive. and you lose a generation in that cross fade to boot.

the first time i was able to cut direct from tape to vinyl and and afford it and make it work was the album elephant.
why? because the songs had no crossfades between tracks. sometimes that's not possible when sequencing an album. also because the vinyl cutting joint in london happened to have the same tape machine as toe rag. besides this we still had to pay double the price because it was mastered to vinyl, then started all over again and mastered for digital a second time. probably
cost more than the entire recording of the album did, and a BARELY noticeable difference in sound.
mishka
Little Cream Soda

Elephant Reissue! (RSD 2013)

Post by mishka »

Picked up the last copy in Birmingham Alabama today!
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

mishka wrote:Picked up the last copy in Birmingham Alabama today!
I had the opposite luck. The last copy went right before me. Bummed. Not looking to drop 60 to 80 dollars for this on ebay.
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Give it time there have already been tons on eBay prices will drop my stores had at least 10 there when I left and I was about 100 in line.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Moller72 wrote:Give it time there have already been tons on eBay prices will drop my stores had at least 10 there when I left and I was about 100 in line.
I couldn't find it today. But I'm in no rush. :)
cigarman44
Little Cream Soda

Post by cigarman44 »

Southwest Missouri sucks. I was 10th in line at one place that only had 2 copies and got to another right at opening that only had 4.
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

There was some talk about these being poor quality? Just spun mine and they are great.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

Going to make a few runs to my locals again today, some had spares yesterday, if I find any I will let you guys know.
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief
jrfhoutx
Flipper

Post by jrfhoutx »

rival wrote:There was some talk about these being poor quality? Just spun mine and they are great.
Yeah, idk what that was all about, sure it's not 180g, but its not a bad press, they obviously came from the same mothers as the original V2, so I can't imagine the sound quality is bad. And mine has a beautiful, clean split between the black and red.
"They were a garage band on Sympathy?! Who knew?" -- EVM
ISO/FS/FT
FLANAGAN, YARRGH!!!
Douchebag Thief