Album: Live at the Gold Dollar

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Album: Live at the Gold Dollar

Post by rsimms3 »

There has been some discussion about this album in the Vault 13 thread, but I figured a dedicated thread to the album was in order. I have to say, I've never been a fan of listening to older live White Stripes shows because I've heard most of those songs a thousand times in newer shows, but these versions are really great. I've listened to "Love Potion #9" almost constantly along with "Screwdriver". I really like this version of "Screwdriver" with the constant drum part that goes from kick drum to high hat. Gives the song a whole new feel with Meg always giving the beat instead of stopping and toward the end there is no "I got a little feeling" which changes the pace of the song. I've always liked Cannon without John the Revelator on Live in Las Vegas so it doesn't come as a real surprise that I like this version of Screwdriver. Great recording from the time period, the original source material has held up well. Two thumbs up!
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
cmelo

Re: Album: Live at the Gold Dollar

Post by cmelo »

Totally agree about how great this is. And I'm blown away by the sound quality for both the LP and the 7". Didn't expect either to sound as fantastic as they do.

Really got a feeling of wow, to be there right at the beginning....
melikecheese
Little Bird

Post by melikecheese »

I have a copy of this already, I downloaded it years and years and years ago, not sure exactly where from, the sound quality was kinda poor, so I hope they can improve it. And what I mean by that is it sounds like they have based on your feedback which is great!
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

melikecheese wrote:I have a copy of this already, I downloaded it years and years and years ago, not sure exactly where from, the sound quality was kinda poor, so I hope they can improve it. And what I mean by that is it sounds like they have based on your feedback which is great!
I am guessing you didn't get this Vault package or you haven't received it yet? My reference to the recording was assuming they used DAT to make a recording from the soundboard. With any recording that involves tape, you have to store it properly and use good equipment for the transfer. Everything sounds exceptional with this recording, it doesn't sound too narrow or flat in terms of a soundboard feed and all the levels were well balanced. The only adjustment I might have made from what we have would have been to bump the bass a little bit, at times Meg's kick drum sounds a bit weak, but what we hear is probably the way it sounded at the time.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
RagAndBoneR
Little Bird

Post by RagAndBoneR »

I framed the record still sealed, but I gave it a listen at my buddy's house since he too got the vault package. I must admit, it's a very special record overall.
a meg me da medo
Little Cream Soda

Post by a meg me da medo »

merry x-mas to ya'll

sitting here with gin&tonic, gin basil smashes and
hearing to "live at the gold dollar" for the 1st time.
its amazing, i think!
especially the lafayette blues with megs uff-ta-uff-ta punk rock drumming.
i would have loved them from the 1st minute!

wishes

ammdm :mrgreen:
myISO: i wish i have... click here