Icky Thump Mono Mix

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
td3
Little Bird

Icky Thump Mono Mix

Post by td3 »

This is the one item of all my stuff I've yet to crack open. Still not sure why I haven't as I'll play any of the other items I have and hadn't planned on selling it. But I'm curious as to how it sounds. Is the mix considerably different or is it simply just a mono version of the original?
hsp88
Little Ghost

Re: Icky Thump Mono Mix

Post by hsp88 »

my mono version is the only one i play, it sounds great to me. worth opening
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

It's significantly different. Rag and Bone even has different vocals in places. Open it. Enjoy.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:Rag and Bone even has different vocals in places.
Yet another version of Rag and Bone, or the same vinyl version Rag and Bone that just sounds different because it's mono?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Kali Durga wrote:
Yet another version of Rag and Bone, or the same vinyl version Rag and Bone that just sounds different because it's mono?
It has different vocal takes. You hear more from Meg.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Hmmm... This may have to go on my list of "things I want but can't justify spending money on right now" after all.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

While we are discussing Rag and Bone mixes....which mix is on the NME 7" record? CD or LP?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
melikecheese
Little Bird

Post by melikecheese »

I don't have the mono mix, sadly I missed the signup for the first vault by a 1 day.

But I do have mono mixes of many albums and stereo mixes, I often find the mono to be superior, don't know why really, but Velvet Underground in Mono sounds so much better.

So I would suggest you check it out, for me, please.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
Wait. You don't hear anything from Meg on the regular lp version, do you? I haven't listened to it for a while, but I thought that version was only Jack.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
Wait. You don't hear anything from Meg on the regular lp version, do you? I haven't listened to it for a while, but I thought that version was only Jack.
Correct.
CD version - Meg
LP version - no Meg
Mono LP version - apparently extra Meg (can't confirm, haven't listened to it in AGES)
7" version - Not a clue, that's why I asked above
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

rsimms3 wrote:
Kali Durga wrote: Wait. You don't hear anything from Meg on the regular lp version, do you? I haven't listened to it for a while, but I thought that version was only Jack.
Correct.
CD version - Meg
LP version - no Meg
Mono LP version - apparently extra Meg (can't confirm, haven't listened to it in AGES)
7" version - Not a clue, that's why I asked above
Ok, someone needs to listen to both of the second two and let us know.

And the third version that Jack apparently wrote was never recorded, right?
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

I think the mono mix is the same as the CD version (take-wise) but the mono mix sounds so much better. Meg vocals are up front in "Rag and Bone" rather than buried in one channel and the guitars over the entire album will shake the paint off of your walls.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I'll listen to it again with the headphones later tonight but I'm pretty sure there are different vocal takes with Meg for the mono Rag and Bone. Stay tuned.
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

the mono LP definitely has the same exact vocal takes as the cd. it's just a different mix. like a previous poster said, the vocals are not buried in one channel, they are upfront in both speakers, and much more clear.

the reason i know for sure it is the same mix, is my girlfriend and i sing along to this song several times a month in the car, and although i listen to the mono mix vinyl from time to time (i don't listen to the regular LP anymore, as i too feel the mono mix is superior), i recently acquired a mp3-ripped version of the mono mix, and we listened to it yesterday, and sang along just as fine. when jack says "aww meg, don't be rude...", my girl and i always fought over if meg replies "why not?" or "or not...", and you can tell from the mono mix, she in fact says "or not..."

i have not listened to the 7" yet, though i've had it for a while.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

CD version - Meg
LP version - no Meg
Mono LP version - CD takes, Mono Mix, Louder Meg
7" version - Vinyl Master of CD takes

Okay, i had some free time on my hands. Just listened to all of them.
The 7" version is like the cd, but meg is still a bit louder. It sounds different than the cd, because I know the CD was mastered differently than the vinyl, and i think the icky thump and rag & bone 7"s are no exception. The interesting thing is, on the regular double LP, icky thump and rag & bone are the only two songs that have different vocal takes than the cd. Which means, the only way to hear these versions, on vinyl, mastered for vinyl, is to have the NME 7"s. I suppose, any icky thump single would do though.

But I just listened to the white Icky Thump 7" too, and it does sound different than the vinyl for sure.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com