found my holy grail

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
HIghVoltage3
Little Bird

found my holy grail

Post by HIghVoltage3 »

I bought the Australian gatefold version of Elephant when it came out in 2003 for $50. Sold it about 3 years ago to help pay the rent for $100, I had no idea what it was worth. Once I got a job and started making decent money I was determined to get it back. It cost me a good chunk of change, but I finally got it back and I'll never ever sell any of my vinyl ever again.

:D
higherlimits
Little People

Re: found my holy grail

Post by higherlimits »

That was the one that just sold?

I was CONVINCED that no one had saw it and that I would get it for cheap. It didn't even go above $200 until about 10 minutes before the end of the auction...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

higherlimits wrote:That was the one that just sold?

I was CONVINCED that no one had saw it and that I would get it for cheap. It didn't even go above $200 until about 10 minutes before the end of the auction...
I saw it the day it was listed and intentionally didn't mention it here just to see what it would go for. I think it's a great example of something selling for bonkers money even when not listed in our eBay thread.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

yeah, thread or not I don't think it matters... If it WAS in that thread I probably wouldn't have even bid but it wasn't so I thought I might get a bargain...
HIghVoltage3
Little Bird

Post by HIghVoltage3 »

i have a nice bonus coming, so i didn't mind paying so much. I'm just happy to have it back in my collection
chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

I couldn't believe how low it was a hour before so i programmed in a bid, thought i might get a bargain......I was nowhere
near in the end.

Sounds like it found a good home though.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

how much did it end up going for?
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Like, $697. It's in the eBay thread, back a page or two.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
richardcosta
Little Cream Soda

Post by richardcosta »

I bid as well (a decent amount) but got smoked as well. I recently bought the single LP cover version for less - go figure. I thought the single was more rare than the gatefold.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

richardcosta wrote:I bid as well (a decent amount) but got smoked as well. I recently bought the single LP cover version for less - go figure. I thought the single was more rare than the gatefold.
yeah the single version is more rare,, but their prices are pretty similar from what ive seen
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I'm not sure the single version was ever sold in stores, never heard of anybody who bought one anyhow. I think they originated when somebody found the sleeves and added records later. Still official, but to me not as desirable as the gatefold. I have both BTW so not trying to diss the single sleeve. I also think I may have bought HighVoltages original one, if so I am happy you got hooked up again...
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.