50,000,000,000 fans can't be wrong LP?

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
trackin'tracks
Little Bird

50,000,000,000 fans can't be wrong LP?

Post by trackin'tracks »

Can anyone tell me anything more about this bootleg?
I bought it at a record fair just a couple days ago, not knowing it was a bootleg at the time.
Below is a link I found about the record, but would like to know more info if possible. Like how many were printed, etc. Any help would be much appreciated!
http://www.peterjolly.co.uk/music_265.htm
trackin'tracks
Little Bird

Re: 50,000,000,000 fans can't be wrong LP?

Post by trackin'tracks »

Not looking to resell it or anything, I actually really like it. But did I get ripped off, since its a bootleg? Anyone know why and the hell the used the subpop singles cover? I guess ease of pasting the title over the old title and making it look legit? I wonder how subpop reacted to this, anyone know if they ever tracked down the people responsible?
How does a bootleg of a famous band even come about? How the hell do they find a plant that will press them and how do they sell them online without being shutdown and sued?

Sorry if I am naive and am asking dumb questions, fairly new to the whole vinyl thing.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

What I know/have been told/experienced -

1. There are factories in Europe and other regions that don't care what gets pressed and if it is legal or not. If you provide the materials and pay them, they will press it. Look at the scads of CD bootlegs that came out of Italy back in the early 90s as an example. The plants themselves don't usually sell the records, the bootleggers do. Copyright laws are different in every country. Some bootlegs are just live compilations, others are true bootlegs taking original content and providing it in another format. GBMS Alternate Set is a collection of live recordings made free on the internet that someone compiled and made a record of. Nothing official on that one, but TWS are definately not getting any of the revenue.
2. You only got ripped off if you paid more than you think it's worth. If you think it's worth $20 and paid that, I don't think so. Check www.popsike.com for a relative market value, but be warned you may feel like you were ripped off by checking previous sales totals.
3. I don't know why they used the Subpop cover, probably easy to reproduce.
4. Why did you buy a record without checking out the history first? I guess I find it hard to believe that in this day and age someone isn't familiar with the actual official material of a band or can't access it easily before making a purchase decision. No a slag, just trying to understand the process.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
trackin'tracks
Little Bird

Post by trackin'tracks »

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate you sharing the info. Had no idea bootlegs were still easily produced in europe.

To answer your question about my uninformed buy (No worries at all, I understand where you are coming from and will try and give you the buying process that occured and my naivity[SP?]:
I guess the reason I am uninformed, is due to the fact that I have so many interest that come before vinyl. So I don't really have that knowledge in the mental rolodex. I really wish I did; just have to put a lot of complex things away in the memory and somethings are just left at the wayside... Unfortunately.
And the reason I couldn't research it before hand is that I came across it at a local record fair, so I had to decide then in there if I wanted it, as it was ending in a couple hours.

I am happy with it though. Bootleg or not, its nice to have a lot of the early singles in one place and lord knows I don't have the money to get them individually!

Thanks again for the insight!
Acidman68
Little Acorn

Post by Acidman68 »

eBay is no help also when it comes to bootlegs they claim to remove counterfeit and bootleg items but i have seen many sell even after being on for days ,
a lot of folks i would imagine believe its an official item because it has not been removed , i have reported 6 items this month
and yeh there still up , i had a clear vinyl copy of the rare A/B sides on eBay couple years back and it was removed and i was given the reason
(it`s counterfeit and where did i buy it ) yup you guessed it eBay lol

Edit i put it back on 8 months later and it sold still was not sure if it was legit or not as about 50 sold there between my first listing of it and it`s re listing
ISO http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... =18&t=4096
Discogs Collection http://www.discogs.com/user/ahh-pg-
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/graeme.sinclair.77
i got a letter this morning what do you recon it read