Album: White Blood Cells

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
Bastieboy
Little Cream Soda

Re: Album: White Blood Cells

Post by Bastieboy »

hey! I just wanted to sell my WBC test pressing at the Merch Stand.
Now billdore told me that it could be a fake one. How can I check the authenticy? Please help me!
Here are some info:
Matrix A side : sympathy SFTRI 660-A 5-48026

Matrix B side : sympathy SFTRI 660-B 5-48027

I'll add some pics soon
barrowc
Little Cream Soda

Post by barrowc »

It's not a fake in terms of being an out-and-out bootleg but:

The Rainbo pressing of "White Blood Cells" (which has the extra S-48026/S-48027 text in the run-out) was released by Sympathy For The Record Industry and pressed by Rainbo Records. It's unclear how many were pressed or when they were actually pressed.

The alleged "test pressings" of this (plus the other SFTRI albums and 45s) seem to pop up more often than you would expect an actual test pressing to appear. It seems that someone decided to press extra "test pressings" presumably with an eye on their saleability further down the line. Treat as a white label pressing and don't pay too much for any of them (apart from "The White Stripes" which might be worth slightly more as the Rainbo version doesn't seem to exist other than as this "test pressing")
billdore
Little Bird

Post by billdore »

I knew you'd answer this one intelligently. I kind of which I would have bought one when that guy was selling all of them on ebay--they were pretty cheap.
Bastieboy
Little Cream Soda

Post by Bastieboy »

he said he bought it from an ebay seller named puddle_city_racing_lights a while ago. does someone know him?
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

Bastieboy wrote:he said he bought it from an ebay seller named puddle_city_racing_lights a while ago. does someone know him?
I think he is a swirl member
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Bastieboy wrote:he said he bought it from an ebay seller named puddle_city_racing_lights a while ago. does someone know him?
He used to be a big time jw collector until tmr...
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

Kaber wrote:
but he's the one with the URP test pressings for TMR - I guess you wouldn't turn those down if you had the chance...
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

love_islander wrote:
Kaber wrote:
but he's the one with the URP test pressings for TMR - I guess you wouldn't turn those down if you had the chance...
He got them in a trade, getting rid of a fairly valuable record if my intel is correct..
coldsoup
Little Cream Soda

Post by coldsoup »

Hello, at this risk of sounding like a buffoon I am going to ask a question about the original opaque XL version of this. I have been hunting for some time, in stores and on ebay for one and I have never managed to locate one. Even at a daft price, even in the hands of another collector. I bought the translucent one about 7 years ago, and I was working in a record store in London at the time and don't recall seeing any opaque versions. I have the opaque 2008 reissue with the extra matrix number (B- something something something) what I would be extremely grateful for is a confirmation from one of you more proficient collectors that this actually exists. I scoured popsike and the only confirmed opaque XL ones I saw were for sale 2008 or after, nothing before, the write ups always make out they are rare but it strikes me they must be resissues. (such as http://www.popsike.com/Rare-White-Strip ... 82037.html ) So that didn't confirm. I have asked info from ebay sellers, those that did respond seemed to have the reissue. I'm at a loss.

I am aware I have definitely not seen everything on ebay, and I may have missed something on popsike. So I apologise in advance, but if there's anyone who owns/owned this opaque XL version pre-2008 without the B matrix additions and once held it in their hands could just say 'It does exist, I have it and you are merely a crap collector" then at least I'll feel like the carrot is actually a carrot.

Thanks in advance.
...if you can hear a piano fall...
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

coldsoup wrote:Hello, at this risk of sounding like a buffoon I am going to ask a question about the original opaque XL version of this. I have been hunting for some time, in stores and on ebay for one and I have never managed to locate one. Even at a daft price, even in the hands of another collector. I bought the translucent one about 7 years ago, and I was working in a record store in London at the time and don't recall seeing any opaque versions. I have the opaque 2008 reissue with the extra matrix number (B- something something something) what I would be extremely grateful for is a confirmation from one of you more proficient collectors that this actually exists. I scoured popsike and the only confirmed opaque XL ones I saw were for sale 2008 or after, nothing before, the write ups always make out they are rare but it strikes me they must be resissues. (such as http://www.popsike.com/Rare-White-Strip ... 82037.html ) So that didn't confirm. I have asked info from ebay sellers, those that did respond seemed to have the reissue. I'm at a loss.

I am aware I have definitely not seen everything on ebay, and I may have missed something on popsike. So I apologise in advance, but if there's anyone who owns/owned this opaque XL version pre-2008 without the B matrix additions and once held it in their hands could just say 'It does exist, I have it and you are merely a crap collector" then at least I'll feel like the carrot is actually a carrot.

Thanks in advance.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=838&start=0
This might help.......
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
coldsoup
Little Cream Soda

Post by coldsoup »

IamFrank007 wrote:
coldsoup wrote:Hello, at this risk of sounding like a buffoon I am going to ask a question about the original opaque XL version of this. I have been hunting for some time, in stores and on ebay for one and I have never managed to locate one. Even at a daft price, even in the hands of another collector. I bought the translucent one about 7 years ago, and I was working in a record store in London at the time and don't recall seeing any opaque versions. I have the opaque 2008 reissue with the extra matrix number (B- something something something) what I would be extremely grateful for is a confirmation from one of you more proficient collectors that this actually exists. I scoured popsike and the only confirmed opaque XL ones I saw were for sale 2008 or after, nothing before, the write ups always make out they are rare but it strikes me they must be resissues. (such as http://www.popsike.com/Rare-White-Strip ... 82037.html ) So that didn't confirm. I have asked info from ebay sellers, those that did respond seemed to have the reissue. I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=838&start=0
This might help.......
Hello, cheers for responding, I saw that and read it also, it plays a little like this thread, the first part says 1 x XL version then barrowc corrects and says

"I knew I'd forget something. There are actually three XL versions on "White Blood Cells" (I think it was Dave/PCRL/AluminiumMan that I originally got this info from):

* original release on translucent red vinyl
* later release on opaque red vinyl
* recent (2008?) repress on opaque red vinyl"

But again it's second hand info, I assume 'Dave' is Buick, and Puddle City Racing Lights always seems to know what he's talking about, maybe I should contact one of them. I'd love to hear from someone actually holding one. I'm becoming suspicious the 'later release' and the 'recent release' are perhaps the same thing.
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

This doesn't help you at all, but "Dave/PCRL/AluminiumMan" is the same person.
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
coldsoup
Little Cream Soda

Post by coldsoup »

stoutr wrote:This doesn't help you at all, but "Dave/PCRL/AluminiumMan" is the same person.
OH, ha. Well that is helpful. In an entirely different direction.
barrowc
Little Cream Soda

Post by barrowc »

'It does exist, I have it (and have had since January 2006) and you merely have a gap in your collection"

The runout text is different between the two versions:

1st (translucent) XL press:

XLLP-151-A1 GRAZZ - THE EXCHANGE DAMONT
XLLP-151-B1

The second press is:

XLLP-151-A2 GRAZZ - THE EXCHANGE
XLLP-151-B2

(That info was originally posted by PCRL on the Little Room; I just re-checked it from my own copies and other than correcting PCRL's "DU MONT" to the correct "DAMONT", the info matches)
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

coldsoup wrote:
stoutr wrote:This doesn't help you at all, but "Dave/PCRL/AluminiumMan" is the same person.
OH, ha. Well that is helpful. In an entirely different direction.
Wait, are you saying PCRL is Dave Buick...I think I missed something, as I thought PCRL was someone else entirely.
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo