New White Stripes Record Player, Headphones + gift set

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Your Turntable's Customized!

Post by rsimms3 »

What, the record brush and 45 adapters get no love?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
cheeseprocedure
Little Acorn

Post by cheeseprocedure »

chrono_1980 wrote:K - got mine today, just in time for x-mas... uh, nevermind about that...

The 12" box, very cool.
The 7" box, very cool.
The single, very cool.
Headphones, very cool.

The turntable - looks very cool. But it sounds like my inchophone... curious if something is wrong with it, or does everyone's sound like that? It's got a tinny almost vibrato sound to it. I've tried messing with the tone knob, which helps a bit. Tried 3 different 45's, all the same. Anybody else have this? Did my cartridge get damaged? Should I call TMR?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mine is pretty loud and full sounding. Decent bass response for a set of built in speakers. I was a little let down that it didn't have any other outputs, after using it for a while though, I think it sounds fine on its own. Hopefully you get yours figured out so you can enjoy it!

Side note: Has anyone used the usb function? I was wondering if it puts out a stereo signal or a mono signal like the usb ION's have.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

It outputs to stereo just fine, I wouldn't use the audacity software though. It does the trick but won't allow you to manipulate anything else. I actually did a couple of tests from the Crosley and then from the set up I usually import from:

Dual 1225
Sony TAE 5450

I bring it out of the pre-amp into my mixer / input from my Mac Pro. I then have a preset I've made within soundtrack pro which has really nice bass tones. I record and tweek if necessary. Maybe boost or do some leveling if I'm feeling "creative." I then export uncompressed then from that file I will export it to an itunes friendly file while keeping the uncompressed archive on a HD. It's a little tedious as I usually will spend most of my time renaming files, encoding etc but in the end it creates a really nice digital sound.

The Crosley is "standard" yeah you can hear it but it doesn't really pack a punch regarding tone, it exports a good argument why we listen to vinyl as it doesn't produce a digital file to the .5th of what my dual can turnout. The interface is great for someone that isn't very tech about things so that's definitely a plus. As far as the turntable it's self is concerned I love it, it's a nice little portable player and I was very surprised how well the speakers sound.

In a nut shell Crosley playing = win. Crosley importing USB = fail (in system preferences it says the device can only transfer 12mb/s)
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

hawke000 wrote:It outputs to stereo just fine, I wouldn't use the audacity software though. It does the trick but won't allow you to manipulate anything else. I actually did a couple of tests from the Crosley and then from the set up I usually import from:

Dual 1225
Sony TAE 5450

I bring it out of the pre-amp into my mixer / input from my Mac Pro. I then have a preset I've made within soundtrack pro which has really nice bass tones. I record and tweek if necessary. Maybe boost or do some leveling if I'm feeling "creative." I then export uncompressed then from that file I will export it to an itunes friendly file while keeping the uncompressed archive on a HD. It's a little tedious as I usually will spend most of my time renaming files, encoding etc but in the end it creates a really nice digital sound.

The Crosley is "standard" yeah you can hear it but it doesn't really pack a punch regarding tone, it exports a good argument why we listen to vinyl as it doesn't produce a digital file to the .5th of what my dual can turnout. The interface is great for someone that isn't very tech about things so that's definitely a plus. As far as the turntable it's self is concerned I love it, it's a nice little portable player and I was very surprised how well the speakers sound.

In a nut shell Crosley playing = win. Crosley importing USB = fail (in system preferences it says the device can only transfer 12mb/s)
how bad is the clipping from the crosley?
he is everything i hate...
harvestgirl
spinning top mama

Post by harvestgirl »

mine arrived! apparently my usual fed ex guy was on vacation, so it was a dolt sub. who missed me 3x.

anyway, lovely in person!!!

i might sell it :lol: anyone interested?
"Doodled on your Milwaukee 03 as well (white flowers, cups of coffee, and love letters)"
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

elduderino wrote:
hawke000 wrote:It outputs to stereo just fine, I wouldn't use the audacity software though. It does the trick but won't allow you to manipulate anything else. I actually did a couple of tests from the Crosley and then from the set up I usually import from:

Dual 1225
Sony TAE 5450

how bad is the clipping from the crosley?
I lol'ed.
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

cheeseprocedure wrote:
chrono_1980 wrote:K - got mine today, just in time for x-mas... uh, nevermind about that...

The 12" box, very cool.
The 7" box, very cool.
The single, very cool.
Headphones, very cool.

The turntable - looks very cool. But it sounds like my inchophone... curious if something is wrong with it, or does everyone's sound like that? It's got a tinny almost vibrato sound to it. I've tried messing with the tone knob, which helps a bit. Tried 3 different 45's, all the same. Anybody else have this? Did my cartridge get damaged? Should I call TMR?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mine is pretty loud and full sounding. Decent bass response for a set of built in speakers. I was a little let down that it didn't have any other outputs, after using it for a while though, I think it sounds fine on its own. Hopefully you get yours figured out so you can enjoy it!

Side note: Has anyone used the usb function? I was wondering if it puts out a stereo signal or a mono signal like the usb ION's have.
It's funny - a 12" will play okay (relatively speaking) but the 45's sound wacky... oh well, it still looks cool.
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Arrived in Ottawa today with this nice note from Canada customs :)
They had opened it up and gone through everything. Thankfully nothing was damaged or missing.

7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

The super rare Canadian customs edition!
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

pj101ca wrote:Arrived in Ottawa today with this nice note from Canada customs :)
They had opened it up and gone through everything. Thankfully nothing was damaged or missing.

The same thing is happening to me right now with my headphones. I called UPS customs is holding them. Apparently Nixon put "20 dollars" as the value of the headphones. Because Nixon didn't fill out their paperwork right and with a small google search they know these things cost a shit ton more... Which means an empty wallet for me (used to work at the border.) I emailed an UPS manager and explained the situation. Here's hoping they can release it after knowing what's going on.
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Damn, that sucks about the headphones!

My vinyl set was delivered by Canadapost, not fedex or ups, and TMR had declared the value at only $100. got charged $44 customs.
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Box was a little beat up.....

7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

That red shredded paper left a pretty good red powder residue, unpacker beware. Found a peppermint candy mixed in there.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

7th_son wrote:That red shredded paper left a pretty good red powder residue, unpacker beware. Found a peppermint candy mixed in there.
The red paper left red marks all over my 45 record box, I'm not too happy about that..
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

Thats funny - mine was all white paper...