Album: Elephant

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
Jettkoral
Little People

Re: Album: Elephant

Post by Jettkoral »

-Elephant Variations-
XLLP-162 (UK Version, dark cover)
XLLP-162 (Australian Version, gatefold, white clothing on cover)
??? (Australian Version, non-gatefold)
XLLP-162 (UK Promo Version, 'the white stripes' on cover)
XLLP-162 (US Promo Version, 'elephant' on cover)
V2-63881-27148-1 (Promo Version, elephant' on cover)
V2-63881-27148-1 (US Version, white and red vinyl)
XLLP-162 (UK Version, dark cover)
TMR-200 (Third Man Reissue, red/black split/white vinyl)
TMR-200 (Third Man Reissue, black 180 g. vinyl)
Last edited by Jettkoral on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

rsimms3 wrote:Has anyone secured a copy of the regular black pressing from TMR yet? Interested to hear if it's another V2 pressing or if they were able to do a new cut from the master tapes somehow.
Got mine on Saturday, have not checked the run outs but it sounds much cleaner than the RSD pressing
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

flattop2001 wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:Has anyone secured a copy of the regular black pressing from TMR yet? Interested to hear if it's another V2 pressing or if they were able to do a new cut from the master tapes somehow.
Got mine on Saturday, have not checked the run outs but it sounds much cleaner than the RSD pressing
Good to hear, thanks. I never bought the UK pressing so this will be my first copy on just black.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

From memory

XL - black vinyl, dark cover
V2 - red/white vinyl, black dress/red suit
XL Aus - black vinyl, white dress/white suit
XL promo - black vinyl, small text
V2 promo - black vinyl, large text
TMR - red/black & white vinyl, black dress/red suit
TMR - black vinyl, black dress/red suit
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Are these two not the same record?

XLLP-162 (UK Promo Version, 'the white stripes' on cover)
XLLP-162 (US Promo Version, 'elephant' on cover)

It says "The White Stripes" on one side and "Elephant" on the other, and is the UK version with an XL Catalog number.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Both the UK and US versions have White Stripes on one side and Elephant on the other. The differences between the two are the font, center labels and inner sleeves.
knoxvle
Little Acorn

Post by knoxvle »

flattop2001 wrote:
So the 180 Gram makes that of a difference?
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I think the color makes the biggest difference.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Jamie wrote:Both the UK and US versions have White Stripes on one side and Elephant on the other. The differences between the two are the font, center labels and inner sleeves.
Also the US version has a glossy sleeve and the UK one is "dull".
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Bikedo wrote:
Jamie wrote:Both the UK and US versions have White Stripes on one side and Elephant on the other. The differences between the two are the font, center labels and inner sleeves.
Also the US version has a glossy sleeve and the UK one is "dull".
And the xl version is made from elephant dung
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

flattop2001 wrote:I think the color makes the biggest difference.
Ding, ding, ding. Black sounds better. 180 gram lays flat better. Both good things. I consider the colored versions to be collectible novelties.
I so wish they would do the live series black and blues like they do but even the black versions that you can buy any day are thin. I went through several this past weekend trying to find the perfect Kills Live album. Everyone in the bin was warped to some degree. If you lay it on the counter and push down on the sides it tilts up in the air. I consider that warped.

If they would put out the live series in 180 gram I would buy one as well as the black and blue. As of now there is no reason to really, the black version is no better.
Shit, charge us more if you have to make them out of 180 gram vinyl, even the Vaults. Do the 12" in black if you have to for 180 gram. Do the 45 in color. I like the colored stuff but the splits no longer come in even close to a split, it's just a black and blue mess now a days. Tri's are getting the same way, many don't come close to a tri, just three colors that smudge together. I know they can be done prettier, the stuff from the first couple of years looked good. Hate to keep bitching but nothing has changed so I will keep on or I will quit purchasing them. Which would be a damn shame, I love this stuff.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

On the other hand.........I am very excited about the upcoming Elephant from TMR. 180 gram with a nice gatefold sleeve. High quality stuff, hopefully. I will definitely be getting one. I will wait until my next trip to Nashville and buy in person. Get one with no bent corners !!! OCD at it's worst/finest?

It will not be collectible or valuable but it will sound and look great !!!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

Alabama Woody wrote:I will wait until my next trip to Nashville and buy in person. Get one with no bent corners !!! OCD at it's worst/finest?
This.
Coma16
Little Cream Soda

Post by Coma16 »

Alabama Woody wrote:On the other hand.........I am very excited about the upcoming Elephant from TMR. 180 gram with a nice gatefold sleeve. High quality stuff, hopefully. I will definitely be getting one. I will wait until my next trip to Nashville and buy in person. Get one with no bent corners !!! OCD at it's worst/finest?

I picked up a copy yesterday and played it in its entirety already. Looks and sounds great! I wonder if Vault Packages will use 180gr for future releases. That might help with the warp issues
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Post by tanzaib »

Coma16 wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:On the other hand.........I am very excited about the upcoming Elephant from TMR. 180 gram with a nice gatefold sleeve. High quality stuff, hopefully. I will definitely be getting one. I will wait until my next trip to Nashville and buy in person. Get one with no bent corners !!! OCD at it's worst/finest?

I picked up a copy yesterday and played it in its entirety already. Looks and sounds great! I wonder if Vault Packages will use 180gr for future releases. That might help with the warp issues
Good idea try contacting them here is there email address vault@thirdmanrecords.com
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here