Album: Elephant

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
MegBot3000
Site Admin

Album: Elephant

Post by MegBot3000 »

This topic it dedicated to, and is for, and about all releases of the album Elephant by The Whites Stripes.
WhiteSwirl takes no responsibility for MegBot malfunctions.
crimpies
Little Acorn

Re: Album: Elephant

Post by crimpies »

What's this release?
appleblossom
Little Bird

Post by appleblossom »

This one's been puzzling me too. I think that it's either the world's worst fake, done as a joke or maybe it's a genuine mock-up of suggested artwork for the European Elephant album, which was later amended to remove the lettering ( as in no one talks about the elephant in the room?) and change the colour of the red.
cdb
Little Cream Soda

Post by cdb »

crimpies wrote:What's this release?
can you post a picture of the CD and the back of the cover please, also tell us what the catalogue number on the spine is.

cdb
crimpies
Little Acorn

Post by crimpies »

No unfortunately, because it was on a recently ended eBay auction.
appleblossom
Little Bird

Post by appleblossom »

Being the new owner of this cd, I've just shown it to a working designer for an opinion on whether it is a mock-up or not. Basically I was told that the quality of the artwork wasn't really good enough for a design studio ( but could be wrong) and it was possibly something produced by an individual for their own purposes. The person/s who made it however had access to good quality art paper (Litho paper- used on printing presses) which they put through a colour Xerox photo-copier, they weren't aware (or didn't care) of what would happen to the image if they did that ( the cover image is poor quality - looks like a really bad scan) indicating an amateur designer. There is no booklet with it, it opens to reveal a picture of the Edwardian lady. The back has a typo error and the typefaces don't match with the commercially produced European Elephant cd. Also the 'e's in the Elephant title on the back cover are upper case and there is no Third Man logo. However, the cd is of good quality and does play, which again is strange for a design studio, they would have just produced the artwork on a blank cd and not bothered with the music. The dove on the cd is surrounded by black. It says on the spine XLCD162. Oh and it's in a dvd case....
appleblossom
Little Bird

Post by appleblossom »

Here's a scan of the back cover next to a one available in the shops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdb
Little Cream Soda

Re: Album: Elephant ( covers made out of dung )

Post by cdb »

i am sure you all heard this rumor when the album was released, that the covers where made from elephant dung. i now have a positive answer for you, here it is,

i know who can take the credit for the elephant dung paper rumour as he'd heard of a company called Ellypoo , who were indeed making paper from Elephant Dung . he went to see them etc etc but the quantity they needed in a short period of time would have involved several large herds of pachyderms shitting constantly ! It was never going to happen !
Still , an enjoyable idea at the time but completely in the realms of fantasy much to my disappointment.

cdb
JohnC
Little Ghost

Post by JohnC »

Lol
http://hhhancock.tumblr.com

ISO :
Action Bronson - LP's , 7"s etc !
Supercute/Dum Dum Girls - Rookie Tunes Flexi.
Tina Trachtenburg "Rachel" doll
cdb
Little Cream Soda

Post by cdb »

JohnC wrote:Lol
true story john

cdb
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

Could some brainiac please list [in order] the pressings of this record. Country of origin and any variations please. Cheers
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
black.math
Little Bird

Post by black.math »

my elephant collection:

stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

THAT is nice. Can you list the vinyl portion? Run out groove etchings (matrix), country of origin and any pertinant variations.
Thank You
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
trickster
Greek Mod

Post by trickster »

black.math wrote:my elephant collection:

I didnt know there were 2 versions of the red sleeve/elephant font 12"
Please check my TMR pin/button ISO viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11426