Handpainted Lafayette Blues

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
crimpies
Little Acorn

Re: Handpainted Lafayette Blues

Post by crimpies »

TommyLittle wrote:The last Hand Painted Lafayette Blues on ebay sold for $12,700. It was a David Buick.
I know a swirler paid $19,300 for a Jack one not too long ago. I think it was #6 or #7.
A $6,600 difference in price.

I personally think fans have gotten crazy putting even half the value of a Jack White hand painted–on a David Buick one.
A Jack White Hand Painted should EASILY be triple whatever a David Buick one goes for.
It's great to see fans are that die-hard to pay as much as they have for David Buick ones,
but I think fans have drank the 15 cool-aid. Some fans see them as each being 1 of 15 when the reality is that
you can't compare a Jack White hand painted with a David Buick hand painted. While Jack White is surely somebody to the bigger world,
David Buick isn't. 

Hypothetical:
Say Sam Phillips of Sun Records hand painted Elvis's "That's Alright Mamma",
You think it would be worth as much as an Elvis Hand Painted version would?
NO WAY! Of course not. If the Sam Phillips Hand Painted was $10,000, the Elvis would be $100,000.
And Sam Phillips is a much more significant figure than David Buick.

All 15 come with that cool pink swirled record, but what makes this the holy grail of Jack White collectibles is the hand-painted sleeve.
My math says there are 7 Jack White hand painted sleeves. And Jack White was in TWS. Not David Buick. 
I can't see anyone outside of this tight-knit fan community who would pay $10,000 for a David Buick hand painted record.
It's completely ridiculous to me. But if a Jack White hand painted sold for say $30,000 or even $60,000, I'd believe it.

My advice for anyone trying to hunt a hand painted down is to just pay David Buick $100 and get a custom one.
Then hope 1 of the 7 Jack White hand painteds go up for sale. If you're gonna spend that kind of dough,
spend it on Jack White, not David Buick. 

Is this not common sense?
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I know this thread is all about HPLB; but just to comment regarding handpainted JW sleeves vs. anyone else: I agree with TommyLittle's opinion. I knew I wasn't going to be 100 percent satisfied owning a HPHYFTH unless it was painted by Jack. Knowing he created it means a lot to me as an admirer of his work as an artist and as collector. (It doesn't hurt it's pretty damn awesome too.)
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

josephodonnell wrote:
TommyLittle wrote:The last Hand Painted Lafayette Blues on ebay sold for $12,700. It was a David Buick.
I know a swirler paid $19,300 for a Jack one not too long ago. I think it was #6 or #7.
A $6,600 difference in price.

I personally think fans have gotten crazy putting even half the value of a Jack White hand painted–on a David Buick one.
A Jack White Hand Painted should EASILY be triple whatever a David Buick one goes for.
It's great to see fans are that die-hard to pay as much as they have for David Buick ones,
but I think fans have drank the 15 cool-aid. Some fans see them as each being 1 of 15 when the reality is that
you can't compare a Jack White hand painted with a David Buick hand painted. While Jack White is surely somebody to the bigger world,
David Buick isn't. 

Hypothetical:
Say Sam Phillips of Sun Records hand painted Elvis's "That's Alright Mamma",
You think it would be worth as much as an Elvis Hand Painted version would?
NO WAY! Of course not. If the Sam Phillips Hand Painted was $10,000, the Elvis would be $100,000.
And Sam Phillips is a much more significant figure than David Buick.

All 15 come with that cool pink swirled record, but what makes this the holy grail of Jack White collectibles is the hand-painted sleeve.
My math says there are 7 Jack White hand painted sleeves. And Jack White was in TWS. Not David Buick. 
I can't see anyone outside of this tight-knit fan community who would pay $10,000 for a David Buick hand painted record.
It's completely ridiculous to me. But if a Jack White hand painted sold for say $30,000 or even $60,000, I'd believe it.

My advice for anyone trying to hunt a hand painted down is to just pay David Buick $100 and get a custom one.
Then hope 1 of the 7 Jack White hand painteds go up for sale. If you're gonna spend that kind of dough,
spend it on Jack White, not David Buick. 

Is this not common sense?
100% Agree. I'm going to buy one of the new Dave ones, put it in a frame and appreciate it as a symbol of WS history.
How are the new ones WS history? It's just a single that is still on sale today after 6 (?) years, but a guy will paint a piece of paper to wrap around it on demand. It's not authorised by the band or associated with them in any way, and it can't be history if they're made on request. I'll offer to do it for anyone who's interested for 20 bucks.
Tonic&Gin
Little Acorn

Post by Tonic&Gin »

Jamie wrote: How are the new ones WS history? It's just a single that is still on sale today after 6 (?) years, but a guy will paint a piece of paper to wrap around it on demand. It's not authorised by the band or associated with them in any way, and it can't be history if they're made on request. I'll offer to do it for anyone who's interested for 20 bucks.
+ 1
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Some real trivialisation of the contribution
others made - there were 15 made by a bunch
of people - yes there should be a price differential
but they are all worth a lot.
I particularly like the one Ben owns
a Buick I believe.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

The Buick ones are far superior art wise.. IMO
smith.melton
Little Bird

Post by smith.melton »

stunning records.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

crimpies wrote:
1. Dave Buick
2. ??????? ??????? Image
3. Jack White Image
4. Dave Buick Image
5. ??????? ??????? Image
6. Jack White Image
7. Dave Buick Image
8. ??????? ??????? Image
9. Jack White Image
10. Jack White Image
11. ??????? ??????? Image
12. Jack White Image
13. Dave Buick Image
14. Jack White Image
15. Dave Buick Image
Alright. 4 still missing. Any updates?
Last edited by Jettkoral on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

First time I noticed that there is a difference in the reds between Jacks and Dave's (Dave's look more scarlet)
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
kylebutcher1
Little Bird

Post by kylebutcher1 »

I don't want to look through 28 pages, but does anyone know what type of paint they used to paint these and the Dead Weather HP?
i like vinylz by jack white
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Seems to be acrylic
kylebutcher1
Little Bird

Post by kylebutcher1 »

thanks! I was thinking of doing a little sleeve painting project (not counterfeits or even WS related hahaha)
i like vinylz by jack white
Snab
Little Bird

Post by Snab »

Thought I’d post this - not exactly new info, but it’s Jacks own words about the handpainted Lafayette Blues from an interview I did with him and The Dead Weather for a Danish newspaper before their show in Copenhagen in November 2009. On the same day ’Under Great White Northern Lights’ was screening at a movie festival so it was a pretty busy day … Anyway, here it goes:
- We had a record release show for the second 45 at the Gold Dollar which was a bar, sort of like the CBGB’s of the Detroit scene at the time. The records came and there was a mistake. It was supposed to be on white vinyl, but they accidentally had left some red vinyl in when they made the first badge. So the first 40 or so came out with this pink swirl. It was really cool, but pink was sort of the arch enemy of The White Stripes, so we were kind of upset at the same time. So we thought we would just give them to our friends.
- And the covers weren’t done yet. We kept waiting and waiting and it became Friday afternoon and Friday night and the covers still weren’t there. So how were we gonna sell these tomorrow night? We got 15 blank sleeves and Dave Buick from Italy Records and I laid on the floor and handpainted 15 covers, so at least we would have something to sell.
- We sold those for six dollars a piece which was double the price! And now two of them have sold for over 10.000 dollars within the last year. So they are quite rare now, I guess … I should have painted a couple more!
About the inserts:
- I inserted some World War Franc notes and gave them to friends. I have nine brothers and sisters, som I gave them 10 Francs. I gave five Franc notes to all the people I thank on the record. If you weren’t thanked but a friend of the band you got a 2 Franc note, but Dave got a 50 Franc note. That was the only one of those. I think he still has the record, but I don’t know, maybe he sold it.
Which of course he did later on …
Last edited by Snab on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Thanks Snab.
The bit about the French franc notes is more detailed
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
chris865
Little Ghost

Post by chris865 »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.