The "Live at the Gold Dollar" series

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
User avatar
HappyDad
Little Ghost
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Contact:

The "Live at the Gold Dollar" series

Post by HappyDad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 pm

So now we know it will be a serie. So far we have:

Vol 1: 07/14/97 - open mic session - 7" - vault pack #13 - TMR-164

Image

Vol 2: 08/14/97 - first WS full show - LP - vault pack #13 - TMR-163

Image

Vol 3: 02/06/99 - first album release show - LP - vault pack #26

The Gold Dollar website lists 9 more shows:
- 02/07/98
- 06/06/98
- 09/11/98
- 10/23/98
- 10/02/99
- 11/26/99
- 10/20/00
- 10/21/00
- 06/07/01

Wonder how they will release them. Some 2LPs for all the 98 shows or the two shows they did on one week-end in 2000? Nine LPs?

Whatever they choose, it will be a great serie!
Last edited by HappyDad on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE

bkramer10
Little Ghost
Posts: 1037
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Houston

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by bkramer10 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:24 pm

Its going to get watered down real quick if they do all of them, and i suspect the subscriptions will drop off with each package containing these. I know I'll be hesitant on the next one of this series at least

User avatar
HappyDad
Little Ghost
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by HappyDad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:29 pm

bkramer10 wrote:Its going to get watered down real quick if they do all of them, and i suspect the subscriptions will drop off with each package containing these. I know I'll be hesitant on the next one of this series at least
Someone said something like it will be awesome to hear how their sound and how the way they play the songs during the early years evolved and I agree with him/her.

It's (imo) exactly what's the vault is meant to bring to us.

I can't wait to get all the other volumes and just hope they won't do 9 LPs but something like 2 2LPs d 2-3 LPs.
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE

User avatar
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 8780
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by rsimms3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:41 pm

What is the date of this one? 19/21/00
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by Kali Durga » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:48 pm

HappyDad wrote:Someone said something like it will be awesome to hear how their sound and how the way they play the songs during the early years evolved and I agree with him/her.
That might've been me, this is what I said-- This is the closest any of us will ever come to experiencing the beginning of the White Stripes. If we'd been in Detroit at the cusp of the 2000s and had any premonition of what this band was going to become, how many of us would not have physically been at as many of those shows as possible? This gives us the chance to at least hear this band take it's first baby steps and learn to walk, to vicariously feel at least a little bit of the excitement of their beginning. That thrills me.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

User avatar
Datch
Little Acorn
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by Datch » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 pm

rsimms3 wrote:What is the date of this one? 19/21/00
Typo, maybe 19/12/00 ??
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”

User avatar
HappyDad
Little Ghost
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by HappyDad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:53 pm

Datch wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:What is the date of this one? 19/21/00
Typo, maybe 19/12/00 ??
Typo. 10/21. Seems like they played two shows that week end. Would do a fantastic double LP.

What could be cool is if they can pair the WS show with the opening bands. They did at least one with the Soledad Brothers for example.
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE

koala
Little Acorn
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by koala » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Where on the gold dollar website is this?
Edit: found it.

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by Kali Durga » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:05 pm

HappyDad wrote:What could be cool is if they can pair the WS show with the opening bands. They did at least one with the Soledad Brothers for example.
That would be very cool. Maybe even just a couple of songs from the opening act on the 7" in each of those packages.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

koala
Little Acorn
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by koala » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Isn't 10/23/98 the show where they sold the hand painted lafayette blues?
Edit: yes, it was.
Fri 10/23 - Hentchmen, White Stripes - Two bands, three record release!! Garage scenesters known for their high energy performances. Organ, guitar, drums, in stripped down punk mayhem. White Stripes started out strong and seem to get better every time. Soulful minimalist blues rock.

koala
Little Acorn
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by koala » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 pm

I think we can rule out 6/6/98 and 9/11/98. They were opening for other bands in those shows.

But this one:
Sat 7/24 - The Come-Ons, White-Walker Trio, DJ On - Soul & R&B smoothness from a band you already know.... though I won't mention any names right now.... White-Walker is a new project/spinoff from White Stripes and Soledad Brothers.

User avatar
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 8780
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by rsimms3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:34 pm

koala wrote:I think we can rule out 6/6/98 and 9/11/98. They were opening for other bands in those shows.
Disagree, we already have an LP of material where the WS opened for another band....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom

User avatar
HappyDad
Little Ghost
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Contact:

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by HappyDad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:34 pm

koala wrote:
Sat 7/24 - The Come-Ons, White-Walker Trio, DJ On - Soul & R&B smoothness from a band you already know.... though I won't mention any names right now.... White-Walker is a new project/spinoff from White Stripes and Soledad Brothers.
Yeah I saw this one but as it's not a white stripes show... Maybe a standalone LP like the Jack White & the Bricks ones.
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE

koala
Little Acorn
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by koala » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 pm

But compared to that, we have:
10/20 and 10/21/00 with the Hentchmen and Whirlwind Heat.
10/23/98 - when the HPLB were sold
6/7/01 - the last time they performed at Gold Dollar

koala
Little Acorn
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by koala » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:41 pm

HappyDad wrote:
koala wrote:
Sat 7/24 - The Come-Ons, White-Walker Trio, DJ On - Soul & R&B smoothness from a band you already know.... though I won't mention any names right now.... White-Walker is a new project/spinoff from White Stripes and Soledad Brothers.
Yeah I saw this one but as it's not a white stripes show... Maybe a standalone LP like the Jack White & the Bricks ones.
Possibly yes. That would be just as exciting as a White Stripes LP, though.

Post Reply