Album: Get Behind Me Satan

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
pgharf
Little Cream Soda

Re: Album: Get Behind Me Satan

Post by pgharf »

Alabama Woody wrote:Sounds dull to me. Lifeless recording. Recorded flat or printed without a good listen to the TP.
What is the reason it was never released on vinyl? Has there been a reason as to why?
I believe it was because they had planned on re-recording it in New Zealand and they were going to use that recording for the vinyl release. But something didn't pan out with the studio they were planning on using, so no GBMS vinyl release.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I heard they wanted it to be a live album of new songs.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

So I wonder if they were not happy with the original recording ? The CD sounds pretty good.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I heard they wanted it to be a live album of new songs.
That would be a cool record
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Here's the word from Mr. Tonic&Gin, via the other forum: http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/inde ... opic=69313--
The intention was to record a live version at a studio in New Zealand of the entire "Get Behind Me Satan" album to acetate (so that it couldn't be mixed/produced/edited) and make that the official vinyl release. Unfortunately, the studio concerned no longer had the equipment necessary to do this so the vinyl release of the album never happened.

Caution: That thread ^^ gets a little off-track. I may or may not have been partially to blame...
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

pgharf wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:Sounds dull to me. Lifeless recording. Recorded flat or printed without a good listen to the TP.
What is the reason it was never released on vinyl? Has there been a reason as to why?
I believe it was because they had planned on re-recording it in New Zealand and they were going to use that recording for the vinyl release. But something didn't pan out with the studio they were planning on using, so no GBMS vinyl release.
Pretty sure I remember Ben or Jack at some (much) later point disavowing that nugget. Jack did in fact want to record them doing the album live as mentioned, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't meant to be the sole vinyl release of GBMS.

Still, no truly official/definitive reason has ever been made public... 8-)
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
crimpies
Little Acorn

Post by crimpies »

I also believe it would have been done in Melbourne and not the oft told story of New Zealand that has since become lore.
Grandpadan
Little Bird

Re: Album: Get atBehind Me Satan

Post by Grandpadan »

IMG_6601.JPG
IMG_6602.JPG
hi guys,
my copy on V2 has the number 26 with a circle around it on the cover as well as on the A side of both records. i just thought this was some ones horrible way of cataloging their vinyl. but now i saw one on ebay right now with a different number with a circle around it in the same spots. the seller says it was hand numbered by V2. his is 15. any one know any info on this or has run into it before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ISO: money to buy more records.
arcamnuts
Little Bird

Post by arcamnuts »

Hi. My vinyl copy of GBMS is on the XL label and numbered 43 out of 600. It is on red vinyl. The sticker is printed and stuck to the outer die cut sleeve itself. There is just one vinyl disc. My understanding is that XL and V2 pressed 300 genuine copies each, on double black vinyl. Any white and red single disc pressings are counterfeit (out of Germany?) and limited to 600 copies each.
Acidman68
Little Acorn

Re: Album: Get atBehind Me Satan

Post by Acidman68 »

Grandpadan wrote:
IMG_6601.JPG
IMG_6602.JPG
hi guys,
my copy on V2 has the number 26 with a circle around it on the cover as well as on the A side of both records. i just thought this was some ones horrible way of cataloging their vinyl. but now i saw one on ebay right now with a different number with a circle around it in the same spots. the seller says it was hand numbered by V2. his is 15. any one know any info on this or has run into it before?
I have had 4 sets of this on XL and none have had any numbers on them .
Last edited by Acidman68 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ISO http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtop ... =18&t=4096
Discogs Collection http://www.discogs.com/user/ahh-pg-
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/graeme.sinclair.77
i got a letter this morning what do you recon it read
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

Alabama Woody wrote:So I wonder if they were not happy with the original recording ? The CD sounds pretty good.
Well the promo version has issues on quite a few copies with one track often being scratched. Maybe they just ran out of time to get the vinyl right before the release date?
c0rpe
Little Cream Soda

Post by c0rpe »

There's a dude on the third man facebook page saying he works at a record store and a vinyl release of GBMS is coming out on RSD, April 18. Total rumor but it's something!
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

They've all but said it was coming for RSD this year for the past year. Every time someone asks about it in chat they say it's coming and that 2015 is the 10 year anniversary and we all saw what happened with Elephant at 10 years.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Surprise :thumbup:
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000