Jack White is writing the score for The Lone Ranger film

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Re: Jack White is writing the score for The Lone Ranger film

Post by Stl_ben »

anonymousbrunette wrote:Two threads on the topic have been merged. Ben, was there a third?
I think it was merged earlier this morning...
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

"We're going to have a little rock & roll score, and I can't wait to hear his rendition of the 'William Tell Overture,'" Jerry Bruckheimer said of White's involvement.

He's not the only one!

Read more on the Rolling Stone site Here
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
sandmaniac3
Little Acorn

Post by sandmaniac3 »

hellosmith wrote:
I would love to see that guy go head to head with Chris Thile.
Has everything you said today been true?
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

^^GAD, *goosebumps* -- that was amazing!
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Here is the more indepth scoop of how this film score is going to go down....

The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

http://pitchfork.com/news/48956-jack-wh ... ne-ranger/

This thread is back from the dead. Hoping a few tunes can still come from his work at least.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Last time he was on the vault he said he was only doing one song for the soundtrack...
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I can't remember now where I saw it, but there was an interview with Vance Powell fairly recently in which he talked about him and Jack working on mixing the score. Would be verrrry interesting to know if there's a bunch of music for this project lying around unfinished.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Elephant
Little Cream Soda

Re: Jack White Making Music for Lone Ranger Movie

Post by Elephant »

Kali Durga wrote:Did that ^^ website really call Jack a "lovable, talented bore"??
FIVE TIMES!!! And they threw in a dull! If anything that article was dull and boring! :evil:
"And you'll be watching me girl, takin' over the world, Let The Stripes unfurl, gettin' rich singin' "poor boy, poor boy"-III
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:I can't remember now where I saw it, but there was an interview with Vance Powell fairly recently in which he talked about him and Jack working on mixing the score. Would be verrrry interesting to know if there's a bunch of music for this project lying around unfinished.
http://www.emusician.com/artists/0767/jack-white/149038
Let It Bleed For White’s solo work and the last Dead Weather record (Sea of Cowards), Powell sometimes used two tracks for the drums, giving the kick drum its own track to “really punch it to tape,” he says. But oftentimes, as with the Lone Ranger soundtrack they’ve been working on, the drums get bounced to one track to leave space for the unknown, such as strings. While Powell uses gobos in front of the drums and bass amp, there’s still a lot of sound melding together. “The bleed is what makes the record sound right,” Powell says. “That’s what glues the whole thing together.”
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I thought I remembered Vance's comment being worded a bit differently, but that's ^^ probably the article I was thinking of. Thanks for the link again. 85% of what they talk about is Greek to me, and yet still totally fascinating.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Well, that's a big disappointment.

Originally it looked like this new revision of The Lone Ranger had great potential to be one of the most intriguing things that Johnny Depp has ever done; which is saying a lot. But the studio kept on jerking them around, making them cut stuff out and delaying the scheduled release date later and later. Now it's been eviscerated of the best and most interesting parts; including even the music. Oh well.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... r-20121214

Add: fixed the rolling stone link.
Last edited by DeeBee on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Looks like the link from Rolling Stone is already gone... and the awkward language in this 'Disney Statement' is telling in its awkward language and obvious mockery by the administration with regards to how it views Johnny's work
According to a Disney statement posted by IndieWire, "Jack White, who had originally been contemplated to score
Disney had a change of Administration and thwarted all of Depp's efforts to bring some life and originality to their product in my opinion... ultimately i think they have some old school agenda and i am certain that the Lone Ranger Fan club would have no deviation from their White Dominance image of the Ranger as a part of dumbing down Tonto as usual :roll:
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow