Jack White photos - find, share, whatever

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
hawke000

Re: Jack White photos - find, share, whatever

Post by hawke000 »

DeeBee wrote:So my question would be, why are people reading this thread if they're not interested in it?
The thread title reflects the contents, so why even go to a thread you don't want to read?

I guess you're saying that you click into the "White Related Projects" to see what's here,
so it would save you one click of a mouse button, sometimes, if this topic were not here.

What's not clear to me is why that's a big issue. It almost sounds like there's some kind
of "cooler than thou" attitude going on, where collectors are supposed to be more 'serious'
than fans, and therefore more respectable. I tend to think that if you're not a fan, then
there's no reason to be collecting Jack White's output in the first place, except maybe to
turn a quick buck off of it. When it comes right down to it, neither music nor poster art
nor custom designed theremins are a life-and-death matter of great seriousness. It's all
about beauty, ultimately - and the feelings that beauty can evoke within us. And photos
are another kind of art and beauty, and people can collect them for the same reasons.

That being said, I would not mind this topic being moved to the Jumble, Jumble section,
if that's a better place for it. But I wonder if there should be a section for stuff related
to Jack White that are not exactly his "projects." There are a number of interviews and
other such topics in this section, so it seemed like it fit here.

I'll also add that I was here for a couple of years without starting a photo thread;
and the only reason why I started one yesterday is because I was hunting for one
particular photo, and I did not want to be so self-indulgent as to start a whole new
thread just for that specific photo quest. So I looked for a general photos thread,
and when I didn't find one, I started it so that I could put my question in it.

The bottom line from my viewpoint is that we're all fans here, one way or another.
What never ceases to surprise me with fan forums is all the ideology that some
people seem to wrap themselves up in, about the "right way" to be a fan, and
what great lengths they will go to, in order to adamantly defend their ideology
about the "right way" to be a fan, and to criticize the "wrong way" to be a fan.

What can that really lead to, except some kind of civil (or uncivil) war amongst
the very people who could be enjoying all of it, and getting along with each other
because of all that they have in common? You can choose to focus on what we all
have in common, and not mind the differences. (Such as, ignoring the threads
that you're not personally interested in.) Or you can choose to ignore what we all
have in common as fans, and nitpick and quibble about the minor differences
in exactly how we experience and express our appreciation of the musician and
all his projects, and try to make some ways of being a fan "superior" to other
ways of being a fan. (And keep jumping in to threads that you're not interested
in, just to express how very much you're not interested in them, and how the
thread should not be here, and thus criticize other fans and make them feel
unwelcome here.) I prefer to enjoy the differences, not to fight about them.

If you love Jack White's music, great. If you love the wonderful poster art, great.
If you think he's a handsome guy, great. If you love his haircuts and his fashion
sense, great. If you admire his spirited devotion to music and emotional authenticity,
great. If you love the fact that he's bringing vinyl back, great. If you admire his
character, philosophy, etc., great. If you love all the creativity that comes out of
Third Man Records - from the Rolling Record Store to custom theremins to triple
decker records - great. If you love the variety of musical collaborations, great.

From my point of view, it's all good. And I don't really want to waste my precious time
arguing about which ways of being a fan are 'better' than other ways of being a fan.

There is no right way or wrong way for anything. We left Little room because of shit like this. We are a collective of people with the same focus and viewpoint. If were not beating the crap out of each other then we are in perfect harmony. This time harmony wins and says to down vote.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

DeeBee wrote:
What's not clear to me is why that's a big issue. It almost sounds like there's some kind
of "cooler than thou" attitude going on, where collectors are supposed to be more 'serious'
than fans, and therefore more respectable.
When it comes right down to it, neither music nor poster art
nor custom designed theremins are a life-and-death matter of great seriousness.

But I wonder if there should be a section for stuff related to Jack White that are not exactly his "projects."
There are a number of interviews and other such topics in this section, so it seemed like it fit here.

What never ceases to surprise me with fan forums is all the ideology that some
people seem to wrap themselves up in, about the "right way" to be a fan, and
what great lengths they will go to, in order to adamantly defend their ideology
about the "right way" to be a fan, and to criticize the "wrong way" to be a fan.

What can that really lead to, except some kind of civil (or uncivil) war amongst
the very people who could be enjoying all of it, and getting along with each other
because of all that they have in common?

From my point of view, it's all good. And I don't really want to waste my precious time
arguing about which ways of being a fan are 'better' than other ways of being a fan.
i see both sides of this having seen my fair share of the little room as someone who was unwelcome to discuss things there... not by the moderators or a good portion of the members there ... but only by select few who didnt like my 'style' or lack of it

ultimately i think that having a thread where photos are brought up and discussed can be something interesting that collectors take up within reason as some added value experience in acknowledging/centering around issues in photos

?? why this would be placed in jumble jumble is beyond me... its white related all the way not as product but as process

granted that this site is all about the product but i do see quite a bit of mutual appreciation here for the 'people/process' and most importantly the point being made is that superiority as an attitude and social function if for those with little else to control and call their own... playing ignorant or pushing some kind of exclusionary agenda indicates that you as collectors are not really interested in the diverse ways that collections actually come into existance ... it is by the fan and for the fan

so... that having been said... post away... get petty... get pidgeonholed or get on with your appreciation as you see fit

i will not be categorized or commodified simply because my aesthetic sensibilities about white-related ideas range differently

i enjoyed my time in this thread and will not be abusing it with the hawt of jack white or any other TMR featured entertainers despite the bulging possibility of attraction or otherwise adoration-based feral faun activity... see its easy... consensus :D
Last edited by theeradicaleclectic on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

hawke000 wrote: There is no right way or wrong way for anything.
We left Little room because of shit like this.

How ironic.

So "there's no right way or wrong way" - but my way is "shit" and yours is not.
Right?? Thanks for clearing that up.
We are a collective of people with the same focus and viewpoint.
Ah, of course - the good old tribal mind and enforced groupthink.
And here I thought rock'n'roll was all about individualism and nonconformity.
Again, thanks for clearing up my misconceptions.

If were not beating the crap out of each other then we are in perfect harmony.

And who started the beatdown here, exactly?
All I did was start a new thread and open it to all JW photos, because I was trying to be helpful.
Like I said, I'm not attached to having it here - it can be moved to Jumble Jumble, I'm fine with that.
This time harmony wins and says to down vote.
So there is no right way to be a fan, but "harmony" here is maintained by
trying to shut down any threads that you are not personally interested in?
(And insinuating that the people who are interested in those aspects of
JW and his bands are propagating "shit"?)

Again - if it doesn't fit here, then the thread can be moved or closed.
(Even though it's more on-topic than a lot of other threads here.)

I understand that every fan forum has a certain focus, and that this one
is intended to appeal to collectors. That's not the issue as I see it.

The question is:
Why can't people just ignore threads that they're not interested in?

Why do they feel compelled to go out of their way to shut it down,
and imply that anyone who might be interested in it should not be here?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sure seems to me that there is
some kind of "superiority complex" going on here, and insinuations
that "serious" collectors are somehow better than "silly fangirls."
And that attitude seems to me to be needlessly hostile to fans
who share many, if not most, of the same interests that you do.

(It also seems to me to be ego-driven, by people needing to feel
superior to other kinds of fans. I realized long ago that humans
can turn anything and everything into an ego issue; but I would
like to think that egos can be set aside in a fan forum, of all
places, because it should be all about appreciating the artist,
and not about seeking ego security by getting validation from
the tribal that happens to share your own attitudes toward
fandom, and thus to reinforce your superiority complex.)

And, one more time: Some people COLLECT PHOTOS.
That's why I started a thread for people who are looking to
find some specific photo, or to share photos they've found.
How does that NOT count as an interest for collectors??
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

just gotta say that i like your style dee bee...
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Thanks, TRE. I missed your above post before, it was the same time as mine:
theeradicaleclectic wrote:
i see both sides of this having seen my fair share of the little room as someone who was unwelcome to discuss things there... not by the moderators or a good portion of the members there ... but only by select few who didnt like my 'style' or lack of it

Yeah, I'd like to think this forum is different from that.
ultimately i think that having a thread where photos are brought up and discussed can be something interesting that collectors take up within reason as some added value experience in acknowledging/centering around issues in photos

?? why this would be placed in jumble jumble is beyond me... its white related all the way not as product but as process

Good point, that. I think it belongs here too.

There seems to be a lot of fuss and consternation for no good reason.
Tolerance for difference and diversity is the better part of harmony.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I'm too lazy to rebuttal. From what I read, you like to hear yourself talk a lot and not actually give any kind of substance. Subliminal as this is, I hope you read between the lines.

Enjoy your stay at white swirl
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

^ Sorry to hear that you missed the substance, Hawke.
Maybe you were looking in the wrong place.
(I put it in the lines, not between them.)

Back on topic, a few more favorites...

Triple Decker Jack:
http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/Ja ... 180910.jpg

Drumming:
https://my.qoop.com/store/Rob-Ball-4ab2 ... 434.LG.jpg

Dazed & Confused Interview:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/%252 ... 1158lo.jpg
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

ok ... so... we are all aware that you have belittled whomever you directed that last comment to there Mr. OOOhawlk

now... pages later as i try to continue to discuss this photo i will have to post it again... please lets stay the source now

so.. about that turntable...what is it you think the knobs might be regulating? bass/treble/speaker settings direct signal?

i dont think the knobs would be the 45/78 because it looks as if they are rigged elsewhere... i think the table has an insane board but i was hoping to check it out a bit more detailed without going to research sears and montgomery ward in 1962

oh well... i will do what i can when it comes to the forgotten formats i suppose ... read between those subliminals man
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Just a quick point, there have been far worse threads around here and having a thread devoted to pictures of whatever isn't going to hurt anyone. I don't really see a problem with having this kind of thread around here, this forum has been driven by what the majority of people here want to talk about and it will continue to be like that, if there happen to be 1000 people who just want to talk about photos then they'll eventually take over I guess..

As for not being the purpose of the forum, there have been a few "veteren" posters who have left because this place has "changed" and they don't like what it's become. So while some of you are fighting to "keep the place as it is" you should remember that the forum has changed a bit over the last two years and there are other people who feel the same way about you as you feel about new people..
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

thanks HL ... good to hear from the source on this

according to my questioning i found this video on the capabilities of that turntable in the picture

not the exact one but likely explains why Jack has that one as his studio boot

this kinda shit fascinates the fuck right out of my interest in 'celebrity' just to put the record straight

sublimate that concept as needed
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

DeeBee wrote:
Yeah, I'd like to think this forum is different from that.
Different, yes, "better" is highly debatable--but having said that, I like your thread.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

it's a mandolin. not that anyone gives a shit.
he is everything i hate...
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:yeah that image was kinda painful but you know what they say 'pain shared is pain lessened'... hahahahah ... sad to say it looks a lot like an ex of mine
Grimtale wrote:The most interesting thing I see in that top pic is the wooden record box that Jack is using. I collect those things and love them. Getting harder and hard to find too.
As for the amps and such, I've spent 30 years working on tube gear as a hobby and so I've seen most of that stuff in one fashion or another over time. Jack a man of sears/montgomery ward at heart...
Grim
i get the part about sears/montgomery ward... i also get the wooden box thing and am ever so thankful that there is now a wooden 7" offered by TMR which means that they heard my plaintiff moaning and call for quality earlier this year... responsive is good

as for the tubes... i may have a question for you regarding an old mixing board that has tubes .... can you tell me about the mic in the photo off chance?

i think that microphones are key to a lot of specific artistry and maybe they are the least understood by audiences ... then again what do i know really?
The mic is a Shure SM55
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

elduderino wrote:it's a mandolin. not that anyone gives a shit.
well i give a big shit about mandolins actually... i'd give more than a shit if i had a mandolin sitting around my house that i could play every day to be perfectly honest ... of course i would likely have to stop all my other slow progressing projects but who gives a shit about any of those besides me i wonder... best for me not to sport that attitude though

the reality as i see it is that the more jack plays the mando the more nashville listens... the more i listen and the more i buy and when i buy the economy stands up and takes interest ... so.. yes its a big deal

and yes i would love to learn more about the shure m55 but are you referring to the one in the picture or the giff that i posted?
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:
elduderino wrote:it's a mandolin. not that anyone gives a shit.
well i give a big shit about mandolins actually... i'd give more than a shit if i had a mandolin sitting around my house that i could play every day to be perfectly honest ... of course i would likely have to stop all my other slow progressing projects but who gives a shit about any of those besides me i wonder... best for me not to sport that attitude though

the reality as i see it is that the more jack plays the mando the more nashville listens... the more i listen and the more i buy and when i buy the economy stands up and takes interest ... so.. yes its a big deal

and yes i would love to learn more about the shure m55 but are you referring to the one in the picture or the giff that i posted?
I didn't actually look too closely at the mic in the pic with Jack; I assumed you did, and thus posted the gif...that said, having tried to take a closer look at the one in the pic with Jack, it's just too damn small/hazy to tell, but by the conical shaoe, it may be an harmonica mic of some sort. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5