Jack White photos - find, share, whatever

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: Jack White photos - find, share, whatever

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Grimtale wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote:
Grimtale wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote: or you could just choose to lord over this thread for a while with that fascination with cars and guns
Oh it's no fascination...
Grim
so what are we talking about here... career minded musing or just flat out obsession?
Not sure but what I do know is we aren't posting pics of jack...
troll at large..
Grim
are you calling me a troll? or maybe you are calling yourself a troll? i still havent got comment one on the Gear in the photo and i came here for that...

seriously... you were having yourself a bit of fun by commenting ambiguously and now i see what happens when i take the bait of conversation

i like the reel to reel being something that jack feels comfortable sticking with but i really dont have a lot of experience with amps

i have also never seen a larger image of this so i dont know what all is in the picture...

on topic??
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

I was calling myself a troll.
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

Now back to our normally scheduled programming... pics of jack and such
Grim
I am everything you hate...
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Grimtale wrote:I was calling myself a troll.
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

Now back to our normally scheduled programming... pics of jack and such
Grim
thanks for the clarity... i never know how to take commentary when it is purely text and i have had a few go rounds in the neighborhood

at present i was hoping for some feedback on this particular image or for a link that made this image bigger so i could check it out unpixelated

the turntable is also something that i wanted to look at more closely

this other photo of a drawing... we can see it here and forget about it all together if you wish

Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

The most interesting thing I see in that top pic is the wooden record box that Jack is using. I collect those things and love them. Getting harder and hard to find too.
As for the amps and such, I've spent 30 years working on tube gear as a hobby and so I've seen most of that stuff in one fashion or another over time. Jack a man of sears/montgomery ward at heart...
Grim
colditz
Little Acorn

Post by colditz »

theeradicaleclectic wrote: this other photo of a drawing... we can see it here and forget about it all together if you wish

oh, my eyes... it burns... my eyes...

That looks more like Michael Jackson with a guitar !

Now hoping that you aren't Erika Steiskal...
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

Dave, now that is friggin funny...
Mark
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

yeah that image was kinda painful but you know what they say 'pain shared is pain lessened'... hahahahah ... sad to say it looks a lot like an ex of mine
Grimtale wrote:The most interesting thing I see in that top pic is the wooden record box that Jack is using. I collect those things and love them. Getting harder and hard to find too.
As for the amps and such, I've spent 30 years working on tube gear as a hobby and so I've seen most of that stuff in one fashion or another over time. Jack a man of sears/montgomery ward at heart...
Grim
i get the part about sears/montgomery ward... i also get the wooden box thing and am ever so thankful that there is now a wooden 7" offered by TMR which means that they heard my plaintiff moaning and call for quality earlier this year... responsive is good

as for the tubes... i may have a question for you regarding an old mixing board that has tubes .... can you tell me about the mic in the photo off chance?

i think that microphones are key to a lot of specific artistry and maybe they are the least understood by audiences ... then again what do i know really?
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

theeradicaleclectic wrote: i think that microphones are key to a lot of specific artistry and maybe they are the least understood by audiences ... then again what do i know really?
Very true. I'm a big Telefunken mic fan myself...
Grim
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

colditz wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote: this other photo of a drawing... we can see it here and forget about it all together if you wish

oh, my eyes... it burns... my eyes...

That looks more like Michael Jackson with a guitar !

Now hoping that you aren't Erika Steiskal...
LOL!
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Didn't expect so many responses here, but thanks to those who voiced support for a photo thread.
BluefordT wrote: So wouldn't photo's of jack and co. fall under some's collection?

I mean some folks collect records, some collect dust, others may COLLECT jack white photo's.

I don't collect photo's,just dust.

But it seems appropriate that there would be a thread for this form of collecting on this forum about collecting.

Savvy?
Yeah, exactly. That would be the point.

(Unless by "collecting" we mean only stuff that you have to pay lots of money for.)

Photos of Jack White and various members of his bands surely seem to be on topic here.
Trying to create some distinction between "fan forum" versus "collector's forum" seems
to me to be forced and artificial. We're all fans, and collectors are one subset of fans.
So it's not an either/or thing, but both/and. And, yes, I do collect photos of Jack White.

Back on topic, here's one that I had not seen before, and really like:
http://cache.vevo.com/Content/VevoImage ... 5FA2A9.jpg

Another great photo, by Chloe Aftel:
http://www.chloeaftel.com/data/photos/566_1r22.jpg
(I like how there are now three buttons on his sleeve, when the jacket started with four.)
Maybe someone can identify the musical instrument he's holding?

The "art" on the previous page was quite, erm, almost entirely unlike Jack White.
But this one is a lot closer, click for a much larger version:
http://cblair.deviantart.com/art/Jack-White-149246312
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Yeah but with all these pictures, especially ones of just him and not a band, seem more like we're supposed to be fawning over his features, and his sexy brooding look and how gorgeous he is (none of those are my sentiments, just ones similar to comments I've read on facebook, very fan-girlish if you ask me.) I'm more concerned with the music he makes, the things he produces and the merch he puts out. That's really the only reason why I'd say that we don't need a thread for this.

But then again, to each his own (or her own) and feel free to make this thread. It's just that it will probably die and no one will post in it and it will slowly disappear only to be revived again by some newcomer. Then they will be berated for how it belongs elsewhere and then the thread will slowly fade away again.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

DeeBee wrote:Didn't expect so many responses here, but thanks to those who voiced support for a photo thread.
BluefordT wrote: So wouldn't photo's of jack and co. fall under some's collection?

I mean some folks collect records, some collect dust, others may COLLECT jack white photo's.

I don't collect photo's,just dust.

But it seems appropriate that there would be a thread for this form of collecting on this forum about collecting.

Savvy?
Yeah, exactly. That would be the point.

(Unless by "collecting" we mean only stuff that you have to pay lots of money for.)

Photos of Jack White and various members of his bands surely seem to be on topic here.
Trying to create some distinction between "fan forum" versus "collector's forum" seems
to me to be forced and artificial. We're all fans, and collectors are one subset of fans.
So it's not an either/or thing, but both/and. And, yes, I do collect photos of Jack White.

Back on topic, here's one that I had not seen before, and really like:
http://cache.vevo.com/Content/VevoImage ... 5FA2A9.jpg

Another great photo, by Chloe Aftel:
http://www.chloeaftel.com/data/photos/566_1r22.jpg
(I like how there are now three buttons on his sleeve, when the jacket started with four.)
Maybe someone can identify the musical instrument he's holding?

The "art" on the previous page was quite, erm, almost entirely unlike Jack White.
But this one is a lot closer, click for a much larger version:
http://cblair.deviantart.com/art/Jack-White-149246312
This is little room stuff...
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

^ My original reply to Hawke - and the question it contained - remain unanswered.

(And as I recall, the LR doesn't exactly encourage photo threads either.
The Candy Cane Children forum did, but that one has been gone for a while now.)
orangeshoeskid wrote:Yeah but with all these pictures, especially ones of just him and not a band, seem more like we're supposed to be fawning over his features, and his sexy brooding look and how gorgeous he is (none of those are my sentiments, just ones similar to comments I've read on facebook, very fan-girlish if you ask me.)
Wow, that's an awful lot to be reading into a few photos, innit?
Nobody has gone there yet; and even if they did, why would you feel like
it's pressure on you to feel like you're "supposed" to think he's gorgeous?
I just have trouble following that reasoning, whether it's here or at the LR.
I'd think if you don't want to look at photos, you just skip the photo thread.

I do find it interesting that forums that are run by males tend to discourage
the photo threads, while forums run by females welcome photos. And while
the males tend to dismiss it as "fan-girlish" it's often true that the very same
males are quick to make marginally lewd remarks about female band members.
(Not saying that you personally would do that, of course; but I've seen it happen,
and it always strikes me as a blatant double standard. OK to make "drooling"
remarks about attractive women, but not about attractive men. Pfft.)
I'm more concerned with the music he makes, the things he produces and the merch he puts out. That's really the only reason why I'd say that we don't need a thread for this.

So you would not be personally so interested in this thread, I can understand that.
Not everyone is interested in every single thread here. But I don't think that a
personal preference translates directly into "this forum doesn't need it."
But then again, to each his own (or her own) and feel free to make this thread. It's just that it will probably die and no one will post in it and it will slowly disappear only to be revived again by some newcomer. Then they will be berated for how it belongs elsewhere and then the thread will slowly fade away again.
Or, alternatively, the people who are not interested in it could just skip it;
and then those who are interested in photos will feel more free to post here.
Just sayin'.
candycaneboy03
Little Ghost

Post by candycaneboy03 »

For the most part...i'm on par with hawke and OSK.....And this type of thread IS allowed on LR, last time i checked, there was a "post your favorite WS picture" or something of the like...Or at least it was around last time i was a part of it.

I like this place for releases, merch, music, music on vinyl and so on. It's not so much that the idea of this thread makes my skin crawl but I think most of the people that migrated here from LR left because (one of the many reasons) there were just thread after thread after thread of super fandom and as OSK put it, fawning over where to find jacks red and black jeans, which hairstyle jack looks best in and so on. Actual posts with relevant substance were getting buried by thing's like these. It got to the point where i'd log in and check the WS main thread and there'd be loads of threads with nothing on anything current or relevant. Yes we have a couple of polls on fav albums and songs and stuff like that but its been a while since anyone's posted in those but i think the degree or manner in which us collectors in this place get all tween like over merch just has a different air to it. Maybe it's the age demographic around here?

Of course there's such threads on instruments, different merch, electronics and such here that make most of us drool in one way or another, but honestly, everything here seems more tidy and relevant. Everything else is just in the jumble jumble section.

That being said, if this thread is here to stay, can it at least get moved to the jumble jumble section? I think it's more adequate in there. Everytime i see a new thread/unread post in this thread i tend to think there's news about the possibility of ROME's non-rrs release or some breaking news about a possible release of one of jacks MANY collabs. To scurry on over here and check threads just to find out someone posted a new picture of jack with his guitar live w/ accompanying bulge (hush, you've all seen it) is just well..... -_-
"Love, Peace And Hair Grease"
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

So my question would be, why are people reading this thread if they're not interested in it?
The thread title reflects the contents, so why even go to a thread you don't want to read?

I guess you're saying that you click into the "White Related Projects" to see what's here,
so it would save you one click of a mouse button, sometimes, if this topic were not here.

What's not clear to me is why that's a big issue. It almost sounds like there's some kind
of "cooler than thou" attitude going on, where collectors are supposed to be more 'serious'
than fans, and therefore more respectable. I tend to think that if you're not a fan, then
there's no reason to be collecting Jack White's output in the first place, except maybe to
turn a quick buck off of it. When it comes right down to it, neither music nor poster art
nor custom designed theremins are a life-and-death matter of great seriousness. It's all
about beauty, ultimately - and the feelings that beauty can evoke within us. And photos
are another kind of art and beauty, and people can collect them for the same reasons.

That being said, I would not mind this topic being moved to the Jumble, Jumble section,
if that's a better place for it. But I wonder if there should be a section for stuff related
to Jack White that are not exactly his "projects." There are a number of interviews and
other such topics in this section, so it seemed like it fit here.

I'll also add that I was here for a couple of years without starting a photo thread;
and the only reason why I started one yesterday is because I was hunting for one
particular photo, and I did not want to be so self-indulgent as to start a whole new
thread just for that specific photo quest. So I looked for a general photos thread,
and when I didn't find one, I started it so that I could put my question in it.

The bottom line from my viewpoint is that we're all fans here, one way or another.
What never ceases to surprise me with fan forums is all the ideology that some
people seem to wrap themselves up in, about the "right way" to be a fan, and
what great lengths they will go to, in order to adamantly defend their ideology
about the "right way" to be a fan, and to criticize the "wrong way" to be a fan.

What can that really lead to, except some kind of civil (or uncivil) war amongst
the very people who could be enjoying all of it, and getting along with each other
because of all that they have in common? You can choose to focus on what we all
have in common, and not mind the differences. (Such as, ignoring the threads
that you're not personally interested in.) Or you can choose to ignore what we all
have in common as fans, and nitpick and quibble about the minor differences
in exactly how we experience and express our appreciation of the musician and
all his projects, and try to make some ways of being a fan "superior" to other
ways of being a fan. (And keep jumping in to threads that you're not interested
in, just to express how very much you're not interested in them, and how the
thread should not be here, and thus criticize other fans and make them feel
unwelcome here.) I prefer to enjoy the differences, not to fight about them.

If you love Jack White's music, great. If you love the wonderful poster art, great.
If you think he's a handsome guy, great. If you love his haircuts and his fashion
sense, great. If you admire his spirited devotion to music and emotional authenticity,
great. If you love the fact that he's bringing vinyl back, great. If you admire his
character, philosophy, etc., great. If you love all the creativity that comes out of
Third Man Records - from the Rolling Record Store to custom theremins to triple
decker records - great. If you love the variety of musical collaborations, great.

From my point of view, it's all good. And I don't really want to waste my precious time
arguing about which ways of being a fan are 'better' than other ways of being a fan.