Hank Williams Tribute Album

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
rival
Little Ghost

Hank Williams Tribute Album

Post by rival »

From The Daily Feed:
Jake White Talks Working With Dylan On Hank Williams Tribute
5/13/2011
Former White Stripes frontman Jack White spoke with Clash Music about his involvement in a tribute to country legend Hank Williams that's being assembled by Bob Dylan. Some years back, Dylan was given a folder of lyrics by Williams that were never put to music and began asking various artists to write music for them and complete the songs. White explained how it went down, saying, "(Dylan) put together 20 or 25 people to finish writing Hank Williams songs that only had lyrics and didn't have music . . . I looked through all the piles of lyrics, and one of 'em just kept speaking to me. Sometimes you think it's gonna be really hard to find my spot, and then it picks it for you. You don't even have to choose it; it just picks it for you."

Dylan has yet to announce the full roster of artists on the project, or even a release date for it, but White said he thought it might come out this year. He added, "He (Dylan) did (a song), asked Willie Nelson to do one, asked me to do one, and I think Lucinda Williams and Alan Jackson are on it too."

White, an ardent fan of older country artists, told us a while back that he thinks modern country has turned people off. "A lot of the watered-down, over-produced, tasteful stuff that has happened in the last 20, 25 years coming out of Nashville has changed people's perception of it, you know. Country music isn't necessarily just those artists from nowadays, 'cause there's also beautiful artists like Hank Williams and Bill Monroe and Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn."

White has produced an album for another country legend, Loretta Lynn, in the past, and recently produced a new set from "rockabilly queen" Wanda Jackson.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
BluefordT
Little Ghost

Re: Hank Williams Tribute Album

Post by BluefordT »

So Jack and Karen are doing songs?
pardon my ignorance of the project, i am usually at least a few months behind on updates.
"No saddly I didn't have enough money from flipping to pay for the car..."
StLBen:Stiben(Elitist Hipster Tool Person)
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Just Jack I think...

This project has been in the works for YEARS. I think Jack recorded his song at least two years ago...
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

BluefordT wrote:So Jack and Karen are doing songs?
pardon my ignorance of the project, i am usually at least a few months behind on updates.
I believe she's going to be on a Buddy Holly tribute...not to be confused with this project.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
BluefordT
Little Ghost

Post by BluefordT »

rival wrote:
I believe she's going to be on a Buddy Holly tribute...not to be confused with this project.
Crud! my complete bad. :oops:
"No saddly I didn't have enough money from flipping to pay for the car..."
StLBen:Stiben(Elitist Hipster Tool Person)
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

BluefordT wrote:
rival wrote:
Crud! my complete bad. :oops:
You're havin' a bad week. Get it together son
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

higherlimits wrote:Just Jack I think...

This project has been in the works for YEARS. I think Jack recorded his song at least two years ago...
right, first heard about Jack's involvment via a NME article in November 2007... I figured it was a dead project

"White recorded the unfinished Williams song called 'You Know That I Know' at Blackbird Studios in Nashville with engineer Joe Chiccarelli."
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20110804

The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams, a new collection of previously unheard songs by the country great recorded by artists such as Bob Dylan, Jack White, Norah Jones and Levon Helm, will be released on October 4th. The set, which will be issued on Dylan's imprint Egyptian Records, was originally conceived by veteran A&R executive Mary Martin as a Dylan-centric project, but eventually evolved into a multi-artist tribute to the late singer-songwriter.

The songs featured in the set were rescued from notebooks left behind in a leather briefcase by Williams after he died in 1953 at the age of 29. The notes contained lyrics and song ideas that were finished by the 13 artists who contributed to the disc. The full story of Williams' notebooks will be told in the album's liner notes, which were penned by Michael McCall of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.

The full tracklisting for The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams is as follows:

Alan Jackson "You've Been Lonesome, Too"
Bob Dylan "The Love That Faded"
Norah Jones "How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart?"
Jack White "You Know That I Know"
Lucinda Williams "I'm So Happy I Found You"
Vince Gill and Rodney Crowell "I Hope You Shed a Million Tears"
Patty Loveless "You're Through Fooling Me"
Levon Helm "You'll Never Again Be Mine"
Holly Williams "Blue Is My Heart"
Jakob Dylan "Oh, Mama, Come Home"
Sheryl Crow "Angel Mine"
Merle Haggard "The Sermon on the Mount"
Beyond Reason
Little Cream Soda

Post by Beyond Reason »

Just read this over at pitchfork. Looking forward to this as I listened to a lot of Hank Williams Sr growing up as my dad played it all the time. Long time coming indeed.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Just spent a lazy Sunday blasting out a promo of this...For a tribute album it is fantasic, could have easily done without the Williams' and Crowe tracks, otherwise spot on.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
richardcosta
Little Cream Soda

Post by richardcosta »

promo, eh... care to elaborate?
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Nothing fancy, just an advance cd sent to stores.

The JW track has some very distinctive touches to the lyric writing, but I won't give too much away for people picking this up later in the week.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Amazon has 30-second snippets up, if you wanna wet yer whistle . . .
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

The Lost Notebook of Hank Williams 12" Vinyl is on the Third Man site on the coming soon ticker.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

PugFaceRex wrote:The Lost Notebook of Hank Williams 12" Vinyl is on the Third Man site on the coming soon ticker.
oops -- news update on the Third Man site about a minute after i posted that ^^
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color