Single: The Upholsterers

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
maxman142001
Little Ghost

Re: Single: The Upholsterers

Post by maxman142001 »

woodisgood wrote:One person says this is fake, another thinks it's legit. I have pics of the back—it's #43. Strangely enough, this very same one sold on eBay, from another seller, in August 2014. And now this seller has it up, 4 1/2 months later. (Legit seller too from the looks of it.) Nowhere in the listing does he use the phrase "blood card." (Could it be possible he doesn't know the phrase? Or could it be he found out it's fake?)

I would LOVE to see a comparison of known fakes against known real blood cards. I've seen a few blood cards in my time and they're not all the same on the back—not to mention some use nail polish and others use marker on the tack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Stri ... TQ:US:1123
I feel like this topic is a double edged sword. On one hand you have the collectors like us who legitimately want to know if something is real/fake and then you have the scammers looking at the thread to make their fakes look more "legit"
Wish it wasn't this way.
Wonder if Blackwell has way of telling and a simple email to the PinBallWizard would give you a YES/NO answer. I think the real KEY is in the numbering and handwriting on the back of the card.
<<Jack White>> @Maxman142001 'let me tell you about my baby she was born out in arizona..."
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

There have never been duplicate numbers and no one for sure knows if there even are fakes. They were all done at different times by Jack which could explain the difference in nail polish vs. marker. People all have their theories but I'm not yet convinced that the marker ones are "fake".
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

higherlimits wrote:There have never been duplicate numbers and no one for sure knows if there even are fakes. They were all done at different times by Jack which could explain the difference in nail polish vs. marker. People all have their theories but I'm not yet convinced that the marker ones are "fake".
Marker-blood cards are definitely NOT in and of themselves fake—real bonafide blood cards came with both. Try shmeering nail polish on 133 cards . . . no fun!
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
KNARF
Little Cream Soda

Post by KNARF »

higherlimits wrote:There have never been duplicate numbers and no one for sure knows if there even are fakes. They were all done at different times by Jack which could explain the difference in nail polish vs. marker. People all have their theories but I'm not yet convinced that the marker ones are "fake".
Ian, Let me be first to put it on the record that there are duplicate numbers of blood cards. I've found 2 with the same number.
I will prove it 100% one day. I'll put something together. I've had about a dozen blood cards in my hands thru the years since way back.
If I can see clear photos of the card, I can tell if it's a 1st or 2nd print run of the card.
I can't guarantee that all the 2nd print runs are fake. But I can say with certainty that only the 1st print runs are 100% authentic.

Between the two duplicate numbers I came across, one was from the 1st print run while the other was a 2nd or later print run.
Several collectors who bought their cards between 2001-2003 sent me photos of their cards and they've all been from the first print run.
I know people will ask me for proof on this. I will show the proof some day. It's something I want to get down correctly.
There will be skeptics that'll say "I'll believe it when I see it." Well remember this post. I'll back it up with evidence.
I'd not think about saying this to the world if I was not 100% sure. The varying blood styles and handwriting are 2 things everyone focuses on.
But there's a 3rd thing that's a give-away if you know what to look for.

Also I must note that I've seen 3 "blood cards" from record sets purchased directly from the label in recent years and can tell you that
all the "blood cards" were not from the 1st print run. Hmmm...white label test pressings? 2nd print run blood cards? Coincidence?

Where there's smoke, there's fake blood cards.
"My sister thanks you and I thank you"
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

woodisgood wrote:One person says this is fake, another thinks it's legit. I have pics of the back—it's #43. Strangely enough, this very same one sold on eBay, from another seller, in August 2014. And now this seller has it up, 4 1/2 months later. (Legit seller too from the looks of it.) Nowhere in the listing does he use the phrase "blood card." (Could it be possible he doesn't know the phrase? Or could it be he found out it's fake?)

I would LOVE to see a comparison of known fakes against known real blood cards. I've seen a few blood cards in my time and they're not all the same on the back—not to mention some use nail polish and others use marker on the tack.

Just heard from the Wizard himself: THIS BLOOD CARD IS FAKE.
KNARF
Little Cream Soda

Post by KNARF »

#43 is embarrassingly fake.
"My sister thanks you and I thank you"
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

woodisgood wrote:

I just looked at this auction for the first time. Why is the back of the card white? this has nothing to do with the blood, just the back of the card isn't right!

Also, I don't think I've ever seen one in blue pen either...
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

higherlimits wrote:
woodisgood wrote:

I just looked at this auction for the first time. Why is the back of the card white? this has nothing to do with the blood, just the back of the card isn't right!

Also, I don't think I've ever seen one in blue pen either...
Seller sent me better pics (which I then sent to BB). Black ink, card is yellow. But it's an el-fake-o beyond doubt.
edith gray
Little Bird

Post by edith gray »

photo 2(2).JPG
I have one of these that I bought at car city records when it first came out, how do I tell which one I have? There's no number on the back of anything that I saw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richardcosta
Little Cream Soda

Post by richardcosta »

I understand that this single came with the black card numbered 1-3 but did this single also come with the black card not numbered as well?
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

richardcosta wrote:I understand that this single came with the black card numbered 1-3 but did this single also come with the black card not numbered as well?
I can't remember this stuff anymore but I believe there are a lot of unnumbered black cards and then the black blood card 1-3.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

edith gray wrote:
photo 2(2).JPG
I have one of these that I bought at car city records when it first came out, how do I tell which one I have? There's no number on the back of anything that I saw.
The single itself was never numbered. There are basically three version (to be simple about it):

1. Just the sleeve, single, and fold-out poster (supposedly 375 of these)
2. All the above but with EITHER a yellow or black JW business card, Muldoon card, a Klomp tag, sticker and sandpaper "fabric" sample (I never got an answer regarding how many of these exist. I vaguely remember someone telling me 100 or less?)
3. All the above but EITHER JW card is "signed" with a III and numbered on back and some "blood" on the end of the nail on the front (supposedly 133 of these)

And I guess to be a responsible member of this group, I need to say here there are definitely fake blood cards. How you can tell a real from a fake——please don't even attempt to fall into this rabbit hole because you will never escape. Nonetheless, buyer-of-a-blood-card beware.
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

They also ran out of sandpaper I believe as I've seen a few copies, mine included, which have all of the inserts except the sandpaper.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

They didn't run out of sandpaper, they just stopped including it because the staple would warp the records.
richardcosta
Little Cream Soda

Post by richardcosta »

How many black cards anyone know or at least confirm the black cards are a more scarce?