Single: The Upholsterers

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Re: Single: The Upholsterers

Post by Bikedo »

davestef wrote:
whats the significance of the franc note? i dont get it.
Looks like you've got a lot of reading/catching up to do judging from your questions.
I would advice you to take a few nights and read through some of the collectors/ebay topics in the White Stripes section over at the little room first then make a shopping list, get a few credit cards and start shopping for goodies;)
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
CandyCaneKid
Little Bird

Post by CandyCaneKid »

A copy without the business card just went for $315 on e-bay. A bit steep, but money well spent nonetheless. I am jealous of anyone who can drop that kind of money on a 7".
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

I am in a quandry. I want to sell a "Blood Card" Upholsterers single I got in a trade with a member of this board and I think (know) it is fake. I asked about it right when I got it and was assured it was not forged. I know how pissy this group can get with a scammer, so of course I need to get this figured out. I have determined this is a FAKE yellow card for a few reasons. 1 - I have seen 30+ auctions on popsike with a thicker solid red [finger nail polish] marking from the end of the nail to underneath Jacks name. I own two others that are consistant with that observation and Ben Blackwell backs this up. 2 - The yellow is lighter and the paper is thinner. 3 - The black mark was on non-blood cards and on my non blood card, this black is like actual ink on top of the yellow, on the forged one it appears to be a photocopy. 4 - The card is not exactly the same size as my other three yellow cards that ARE exactly the same size.

What the fuck? Even if this trader didn't forge the card, isn't this the same as Mr. Clarkson's shit?

See scan:
Blood-cards-web.jpg
Opine away...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

stoutr wrote:I am in a quandry. I want to sell a "Blood Card" Upholsterers single I got in a trade with a member of this board and I think (know) it is fake. I asked about it right when I got it and was assured it was not forged. I know how pissy this group can get with a scammer, so of course I need to get this figured out. I have determined this is a FAKE yellow card for a few reasons. 1 - I have seen 30+ auctions on popsike with a thicker solid red [finger nail polish] marking from the end of the nail to underneath Jacks name. I own two others that are consistant with that observation and Ben Blackwell backs this up. 2 - The yellow is lighter and the paper is thinner. 3 - The black mark was on non-blood cards and on my non blood card, this black is like actual ink on top of the yellow, on the forged one it appears to be a photocopy. 4 - The card is not exactly the same size as my other three yellow cards that ARE exactly the same size.

What the fuck? Even if this trader didn't forge the card, isn't this the same as Mr. Clarkson's shit?

See scan:
Blood-cards-web.jpg
Opine away...
Just quoting myself. Please don't edit this mods. Thanks
I got that deep into variants once before with a collection, please shoot me if I go there again, it will drive you crazy I promise...
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

Fake as fake can be.
I think if you do want to sell it you couldnt possibly look for market price.
More like $300 which is market for the regular copy.
Nice of you to be straight with everyone though.
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

stoutr wrote:
Just quoting myself. Please don't edit this mods. Thanks
Why would we edit it?
stoutr
Little Ghost

Post by stoutr »

I just noticed the "Your furniture is not dead" quote. Classic.
But nice stuff for sure.
Grim
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

stoutr wrote:I am in a quandry. I want to sell a "Blood Card" Upholsterers single I got in a trade with a member of this board and I think (know) it is fake. I asked about it right when I got it and was assured it was not forged. I know how pissy this group can get with a scammer, so of course I need to get this figured out. I have determined this is a FAKE yellow card for a few reasons.

1 - I have seen 30+ auctions on popsike with a thicker solid red [finger nail polish] marking from the end of the nail to underneath Jacks name. I own two others that are consistant with that observation and Ben Blackwell backs this up.

2 - The yellow is lighter and the paper is thinner.

3 - The black mark was on non-blood cards and on my non blood card, this black is like actual ink on top of the yellow, on the forged one it appears to be a photocopy.

4 - The card is not exactly the same size as my other three yellow cards that ARE exactly the same size.
1. I found 14 auctions for blood upholsterers and 6 of them have the thick blood covering the phone number and 8 appear not to, tough to tell really though, the pictures are so small.

2. That's interesting.

3. Also interesting, can you see the ink through to the back of the card?

4. Also interesting.

My take (as it's always been) is that it's inconclusive and here's why:

No blood cards have EVER had the same number

No one knows the truth behind how they were made, someone needs to ask Jack would be my opinion

Ben isn't an expert on the blood cards, he wasn't around when they were made.. I'd say Ben is an expert on just about everything but for blood cards I'll say he's not for good reason. (I think he'd say my reasoning is sound..)

Different paper and sizes is the biggest thing in support that they're fake. I'd always thought that if someone were to fake them they'd just take non blood ones and bloody them up. who knows though, maybe Jack ran out of cards when doing them? As far as I know he did them all up on his own with no one around so he's the only one that knows the truth. (plus whoever faked them, if in fact fakes exist)

If someone were to fake them, why would the change them up so significantly? I 100% confident that I could produce a fake that no one would be able to tell is fake.

Conclusion:

If you're not happy with a trade perhaps try to trade back? If the other party believes it's not a fake I'm sure they'll take it back. or you could put it on ebay like the other 8 on popsike that seem to be similar and have sold for upwards of $700
subpopfan1
Pinball Wizard

Post by subpopfan1 »

higherlimits wrote:

Ben isn't an expert on the blood cards, he wasn't around when they were made.. I'd say Ben is an expert on just about everything but for blood cards I'll say he's not for good reason. (I think he'd say my reasoning is sound..)

Oh Ian, why must you cast aspersions? I'm as close to a blood card expert as you will find. I may not have always been and we all learn new information all the time. And yes, if pressed, I'm sure I too could produce an undetectable fake. But to come on here and claim I'm not a blood card expert immediately puts dozens of collectors on heightened alert because I'd given them a solid "real" or "fake" designation in the past few years. Your reasoning may be sound, but that doesn't mean you're right.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

subpopfan1 wrote: But to come on here and claim I'm not a blood card expert immediately puts dozens of collectors on heightened alert because I'd given them a solid "real" or "fake" designation in the past few years.

And I thought I we had something special.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
Scheckywhite
everything you hate...

Post by Scheckywhite »

Anyone wanna make me a fake blood card for my upholsterers 45? Just for my personal use... :lol:
I wish I was purple, because I'm feeling blue. I'm not looking for love, but a good fuck'll do.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

subpopfan1 wrote:
higherlimits wrote:

Oh Ian, why must you cast aspersions? I'm as close to a blood card expert as you will find. I may not have always been and we all learn new information all the time. And yes, if pressed, I'm sure I too could produce an undetectable fake. But to come on here and claim I'm not a blood card expert immediately puts dozens of collectors on heightened alert because I'd given them a solid "real" or "fake" designation in the past few years. Your reasoning may be sound, but that doesn't mean you're right.
No, I guess I worded it wrong.. I don't mean to criticize you, and I hope you know that.

I guess you're an expert, but being an expert doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING does it? I'd say that due to the nature of the item there is no possible way for ANYONE to give a perfect "real" answer on any one card. Giving a "Fake" title on a card is a bit easier. If there was blood EVERYWHERE on the card then Jack would obviously know if he made a card like that.

As far as the thick blood vs. thin blood do we KNOW that Jack never made the latter?

I guess if put on the spot I'd lean towards fake but I'll never know for sure either way unless I heard Jack's story.
But to come on here and claim I'm not a blood card expert immediately puts dozens of collectors on heightened alert because I'd given them a solid "real" or "fake" designation in the past few years.
Do you really have that many people asking you about blood cards?
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

hey guys,
im a newbie, in fact this is my first post here,, so judge accordingly, but anyway im not so sure that all thin lined blood cards are fake,,"higherlimits" you are right that on popsike a lot of blood cards do not have the thick nail polish blood (in the bottom of this post are 7 links to those examples),, some of those thin blood line cards come up as far back as 2004 when the prices were around 150 bucks,, i may be wrong but im not sure somebody was going to go through the hassle of forging blood cards back then for that amount of money,, but then again they might all be "converted" blood cards,, i think we might be better able to tell by comparing the handwriting on the back,, have you guys checked that?

anyway i have a thin lined blood card (#114) and would be real fking pissed if i got ripped off,, im never going to sell it but it pisses me off that assholes try to profiteer off our hobby

it would be cool to set some kind of standard or have a compilation list like http://www.sliver.it/nirvana/test/pages ... _list.html
what do you guys think?

that way we could prevent people from buying fake copies,, with the "it might get loud" doc, these things will continue to rise and more and more fakes could start to pop up,,

links to popsike thin cards,,
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar. ... 0150382450
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar. ... 4754545465
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar. ... 4013857682
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar. ... 4756532364
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar. ... 0053875708
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar. ... 4039801479
http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar. ... 4037664794
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
JohnC
Little Ghost

Post by JohnC »

Scheckywhite wrote:Anyone wanna make me a fake blood card for my upholsterers 45? Just for my personal use... :lol:
Of course ...
http://hhhancock.tumblr.com

ISO :
Action Bronson - LP's , 7"s etc !
Supercute/Dum Dum Girls - Rookie Tunes Flexi.
Tina Trachtenburg "Rachel" doll
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

achouza wrote:hey guys,
im a newbie, in fact this is my first post here,, so judge accordingly, but anyway im not so sure that all thin lined blood cards are fake...
Welcome aboard. A mighty first post. Keep it up.

Cheers.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org