Jack White Solo Album???

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
Grimtale
Little People

Re: Jack White Solo Album???

Post by Grimtale »

I want to see more DW with a slight twist. Throw PK on drums and move Jack and Alison both to the front stage...
Grim
I am everything you hate...
colditz
Little Acorn

Post by colditz »

Grimtale wrote:I want to see more DW with a slight twist. Throw PK on drums and move Jack and Alison both to the front stage...
Grim
not sure that's such a good idea - they would end up killing each other...
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I'll say it again, the only "solo" jack I've heard is FFB and mother natures son. If that is anything to go by I really hope he means solo billing with a band.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

flattop2001 wrote:I'll say it again, the only "solo" jack I've heard is FFB and mother natures son. If that is anything to go by I really hope he means solo billing with a band.
Are you fucking serious!? I hope to gawd your word doesn't mean anything more than the few keys you stroked on this fucking site.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

As long time members know everything I post on here is completely serious.

Having said that I would love to hear your opinion on the merits of a song about how many legs a spider has and a Beatles cover. Unless of course you have a stash of unheard JW solo demos that I have not heard?
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

The point of FFB is the process of writing the song. He did it in one take (unless movie magic has something to do with it). If I could put out a song like that in one take, I'd be pretty friggin happy.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

listen to Jazz musicians they do that every day, dont justify mediocre music by making excuses "yes its average but he really didn't try". I love Jacks energy and talent but I feel he is at his best when he is under pressure (poor equipment, inpractical stage set up, impossible tour schedule etc..) and hits it out of the park, not reaches first.

I would like to see him working with a band that he was responsible for front and center, or as a producer unearthing great music i might otherwise not find. I spent the last week listening to The White Stripes remasters and a few live shows and you know what Ginger Baker's philosiphy is as true today as it has ever been.

An average band with an average drummer is an average band.

An average band with a good drummer becomes a good band.

A good band with a great drummer becomes a great band.
chrono_1980
Little Ghost

Post by chrono_1980 »

flattop2001 wrote:listen to Jazz musicians they do that every day, dont justify mediocre music by making excuses "yes its average but he really didn't try". I love Jacks energy and talent but I feel he is at his best when he is under pressure (poor equipment, inpractical stage set up, impossible tour schedule etc..) and hits it out of the park, not reaches first.

I would like to see him working with a band that he was responsible for front and center, or as a producer unearthing great music i might otherwise not find. I spent the last week listening to The White Stripes remasters and a few live shows and you know what Ginger Baker's philosiphy is as true today as it has ever been.

An average band with an average drummer is an average band.

I'm not saying I disagree, and I know that's what Jazz is all about (Miles Davis - Kind of Blue is an amazing record).

I'm just saying that not many musicians can do that these days, and that's what makes FFB cool in my opinion. Maybe not his best song - but still a far better tune than most of the crap out there.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

flattop2001 wrote: An average band with an average drummer is an average band.

Hmmm...spoken like a drummer! :lol:
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I hate to feel the love between us die, Just hear this and then I'll go.

You sir are a good judge of drunken posts.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

flattop2001 wrote:I hate to feel the love between us die, Just hear this and then I'll go.

You sir are a good judge of drunken posts.
8-)
But, in fairness, both JB's drummers kicked ass.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

Matt Johnson's singer wasn't bad either ;)
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

flattop2001 wrote:As long time members know everything I post on here is completely serious.
So are you saying that we've been graced with a lot of garbage over the years?
flattop2001 wrote:Having said that I would love to hear your opinion on the merits of a song about how many legs a spider has and a Beatles cover. Unless of course you have a stash of unheard JW solo demos that I have not heard?
I'm not sure if your criticizing Jack White's lyrics to "Fly Farm Blues", but, I happen to feel it's a great song and one of my admitted favorites. More than anything I like the raw tone of the song and simplicity. I've always liked the tone of the Kay guitar and sound of vocals being overdriven. Very Billy Childish-esque I guess.

And as far as the Beatles cover goes, how could you go wrong with any Beatles song? Not to mention that "Mother Nature's Son" is one of their greatest coming from one of my personal favorite albums. Great taste as far as I'm concerned and played well by one of my favorite musicians.
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

flattop2001 wrote:listen to Jazz musicians they do that every day, dont justify mediocre music by making excuses "yes its average but he really didn't try". I love Jacks energy and talent but I feel he is at his best when he is under pressure (poor equipment, inpractical stage set up, impossible tour schedule etc..) and hits it out of the park, not reaches first.
You baffle me. So you're honestly saying that in a solo setting, Jack's tour "habits" will take a complete 180!? So instead of having all that stage energy, playing under pressure, making up his setlist as he goes, playing cheap equipment, he'd hit the stage with a new haircut, new equipment, a setlist made up by his agent, and songs taken from his latest solo album which was collaborated by a producer shuffling through the Sony song vault? Very unlikely. You make it sound like the guy would be less a phenomenon once on tour as a solo artist.

I would guarantee that everything you love about Jack's live performances would be met and then some. What I love about solo live shows is the incredible intimacy you get with the musician. Especially when there is a great audience that the musician feeds off of. I could only imagine what it would be like considering Jack's energy, creativity, and antics. The day couldn't come any sooner.

And furthermore, possibly more than anything, I'd love to see Jack release a solo album in which he makes up the entire band. How about this for album credits:

Jack White: producer, vocals, guitar, bass, skins, piccolo, shoe stomping, sock full of quarters, etc.
Released by Third Man Records

Maybe it would be a little egotistical, but, I'd be all over it. In all honesty and summed up into few words, Jack is the reason why I'm here.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

makers888 wrote:
You baffle me. So you're honestly saying that in a solo setting, Jack's tour "habits" will take a complete 180!? So instead of having all that stage energy, playing under pressure, making up his setlist as he goes, playing cheap equipment, he'd hit the stage with a new haircut, new equipment, a setlist made up by his agent, and songs taken from his latest solo album which was collaborated by a producer shuffling through the Sony song vault? Very unlikely. You make it sound like the guy would be less a phenomenon once on tour as a solo artist.

I would guarantee that everything you love about Jack's live performances would be met and then some. What I love about solo live shows is the incredible intimacy you get with the musician. Especially when there is a great audience that the musician feeds off of. I could only imagine what it would be like considering Jack's energy, creativity, and antics. The day couldn't come any sooner.

And furthermore, possibly more than anything, I'd love to see Jack release a solo album in which he makes up the entire band. How about this for album credits:

Jack White: producer, vocals, guitar, bass, skins, piccolo, shoe stomping, sock full of quarters, etc.
Released by Third Man Records

Maybe it would be a little egotistical, but, I'd be all over it. In all honesty and summed up into few words, Jack is the reason why I'm here.

I hope you get all you wish for and more, but please don’t be so narrow minded, there are other great musicians out there I hope Jack finds happiness in a band he can fully express himself in whether that is called Jack White, The Green Stripes or anything else.