Jack White Solo Album???

The Upholsterers, The Soledad Brothers, Blanche, The Greenhornes, 2 Star Tabernacle and more...
makers888
Little Acorn

Re: Jack White Solo Album???

Post by makers888 »

Narrow minded? What the fuck are you talking about? Doesn't fit into the conversation at all.

But if you're referring to my musical taste do you want to compare musical interests and collections? I'd be more than happy to show you that my musical taste goes way beyond a single musician. Jack White just happens to be one of my favorites.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

makers888 wrote:
flattop2001 wrote:As long time members know everything I post on here is completely serious.
So are you saying that we've been graced with a lot of garbage over the years?
flattop2001 wrote:Having said that I would love to hear your opinion on the merits of a song about how many legs a spider has and a Beatles cover. Unless of course you have a stash of unheard JW solo demos that I have not heard?
I'm not sure if your criticizing Jack White's lyrics to "Fly Farm Blues", but, I happen to feel it's a great song and one of my admitted favorites. More than anything I like the raw tone of the song and simplicity. I've always liked the tone of the Kay guitar and sound of vocals being overdriven. Very Billy Childish-esque I guess.

And as far as the Beatles cover goes, how could you go wrong with any Beatles song? Not to mention that "Mother Nature's Son" is one of their greatest coming from one of my personal favorite albums. Great taste as far as I'm concerned and played well by one of my favorite musicians.
Yes, I am well known for spreading garbage

I am not "criticizing" FFB, I am saying that by Jacks standards it is mediocre and a throw away I like the sound of it to, but could, or would I want to listen to a whole album of that standard - NO, my opinion nothing more, its one of your favorites, to me it sounds like a clip from Jazz club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQYzpOHpik

How can you go wrong with a Beatles cover? Exactly my point it was a great song, played well and sung OK I think he is capable of a lot, lot more.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

makers888 wrote:Narrow minded? What the fuck are you talking about? Doesn't fit into the conversation at all.

But if you're referring to my musical taste do you want to compare musical interests and collections? I'd be more than happy to show you that my musical taste goes way beyond a single musician. Jack White just happens to be one of my favorites.
WOW you really do take shit personally dont you.

possibly more than anything, I'd love to see Jack release a solo album in which he makes up the entire band. How about this for album credits:

Jack White: producer, vocals, guitar, bass, skins, piccolo, shoe stomping, sock full of quarters, etc.
Released by Third Man Records

This statement seems a little narrowminded to me sorry if that offends you.
Jack is one of my favorites, but not my favorite by a long way. You want to see jack in a solo setting, I want him fronting a band. name me a single band leader in rock music who has made a solo album to match his product when he was in a major band and you might start to convince me. By solo I mean as you describe above not an album with his or her name on featuring a host of session musicians.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

flattop2001 wrote: name me a single band leader in rock music who has made a solo album to match his product when he was in a major band and you might start to convince me. By solo I mean as you describe above not an album with his or her name on featuring a host of session musicians.
DAN AUERBACH. His solo album is (in my opinion) fantastic :mrgreen:
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I don't really care for FFB either really. Usually if it plays on my ipod... I usually skip it. Yeah it's great he came up with it on the spot and whatnot, but still, I much prefer that he spend at least a little time on his lyrics. As for a solo show, I also think that it may be great and I'd definitely go, but it won't be even close to as great as TWS. Mother Natures Child is pretty good in my mind, but at the same time, I'm not a huge fan of acoustic. I'd much prefer the loud, gritty, dirty guitar sounds that the stripes put out.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

ladies, ladies, ladies... can't you just agree to disagree?
he is everything i hate...
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

HappyDad wrote:DAN AUERBACH. His solo album is (in my opinion) fantastic :mrgreen:
I agree but this does not qualify;

Bob Cesare, drums/percussion , rhythm guitar
Dave Huddleston, upright bass
James Quine, electric rhythm guitar, harmony
Jessica Lea Mayfield, harmony
Rob "Thorny" Thorsen, upright bass
Mark Neill, maracas
Dan Auerbach, all other instrumentation
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I am not a fan of FFB either. I accept it for what it is, a one off song written in 10 minutes that is strongly derivative of other things we have heard from Jack while in the White Stripes. It's not a knock, just my opinion about the song. As for the Mother Nature's Son performance, I am not a huge fan of that either. It's not Jack playing to his strengths. It's a Beatles cover, his forte is covering blues or garage rock songs. It's a solo acoustic performance, he's better with at least one other person to play against. He's playing for the President, Paul McCartney, and the world; he appears nervous as would most anyone. Again, I accept it for what it is. I don't think anything solo that Jack would put out would be similar to these two performances. I don't think comparing a future release to these performances is fair to Jack or those performances. I think of Dave Grohl making the first FF record. He did it all by himself in the recording studio and then brought folks together to create the band. I would liken a Jack solo record to this, only the band would be just studio/back-up musicians rather than a band. I would guess that the Danger Mouse material would be the closest comparison to a Jack Solo release than FFB or Mother Nature's Son.

As for the creation of music through fighting with his instruments, I don't think this is the case anymore. He hasn't used the Airline publicly since the White Stripes in 2007 from what I have seen; it's been all Gretsch guitars since then with the Raconteurs and Dead Weather. Gretsch doesn't make crappy guitars that you'd have to fight with to make music. Just my observation.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
7th_son
Fate Accelerator

Post by 7th_son »

This debate is spirited and it's an interesting discussion, but let's not let it get personal please. I don't think anyone means to offend.

That said, I remember a similar discussion when FFB was released. The fact is, FFB was just Jack's way of illustrating a point in the film. I wouldn't go any further than that as far as analyzing it or comparing it to potential future content. In my opinion we have not seen what a Jack White-crafted solo record and outfit would sound like. Have you all seen the bonus footage from Cold Mountain where he plays several songs solo in a performance of music from the film? Granted, that music had a particular theme. Anyway, my hope is that a Jack solo outfit would be creative and something worth saying in a musical style where he belongs, the blues!
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

I think a Third Man Band (w/o Wanda) tour would be pretty awesome.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

PugFaceRex wrote:I think a Third Man Band (w/o Wanda) tour would be pretty awesome.
:thumbsup:
Maybe some guest musicians like Conan in certain cities on the tour, much like Conan's tour where he had different openers for some dates.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
DBCooper
Little Acorn

Post by DBCooper »

rsimms3 wrote:
PugFaceRex wrote:I think a Third Man Band (w/o Wanda) tour would be pretty awesome.
:thumbsup:
Maybe some guest musicians like Conan in certain cities on the tour, much like Conan's tour where he had different openers for some dates.
The Third Man Circus just take the shop and the band on the road. they are all muscians. 2 jacks, 2 bens, third man band, karen, and whoever else wants to join the party.
That can go now.
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

I've gotta say that I'm truly happy for being in the minority ring here.